VOGONS

First post, by Uriel_Dagda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get Menzoberranzan CD version working with DosBox 0.74 and, while I found an old topic talking about it that was closed as "resolved", it actually made no sense to me.

In it, it says to get it working by editing INFO.DAT to point to the C drive.

The only issue with this is, it's not a plaintext file. It's just a bunch of 0s and 1s with some symbols after it. I've fooled with the 1s and 0s and only succeeded in getting it to work, but without any intro, and no ability to create characters, as none of the cinematics work.

Yes, I've copied them all over to the Menzo directory but that doesn't do anything to help. Maybe somebody that did get it working could tell me how to set the 0s and 1s to get it working.

I really wish GOG would carry this and the Ravenloft games.. Would be so much simpler repurchasing it, already set up. 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Uriel_Dagda wrote:

while I found an old topic talking about it that was closed as "resolved"

Why not post a link to said topic rather than making other people search for it?
Menzoberranzan Refusing to load

As per the thread: are you using the floppy version, CD version, or version you downloaded randomly from somewhere?

To take a completely wild guess, perhaps INFO.DAT starts off as a plaintext file immediately after installation and then gets replaced by binary data later (perhaps after running SOUND.BAT). Try starting over fresh and following the instructions on the second page, step by step.

Reply 2 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have tested my CD version 1.00. The game is working perfectly w/o any info.dat editing.
But my version is standalone Menzoberranzan, not the cd from the Masterpiece Collection.

Info.dat is 17 bytes long and D: are the last two symbols in this file.

P.S. Have tested the 3rd cd from the AD&D Masterpiece Collection. Again, the game is working w/o any info.dat editing.
Mountings are:
mount c d:\dosbos -freesize 475
mount d j:\ -t cdrom
where d:\dosbox is my standard directory for dosbox games on my hdd, j - my dvdrom.

Reply 3 of 7, by Uriel_Dagda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally dug out the original Menzoberranzan CD (I think I gave my hernia a hernia!) and got it working making an ISO with ImgBurn.. I don't know what it was.. I couldn't get the one from the Masterpiece collection to work. Tossed it in the garbage, now that I found the original..

It works, Thank the Gods, and I got the MIDI up and running with BassMIDI!! I feel like it's 1994 again!!!! Thought I'd never get to revisit it properly! 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by Uriel_Dagda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys, so much for offering the help. Wish I had thought to dig the original up before I posted and wasted people's time!

I also found my original disks for Blood, Quake, Hexen, Dungeon Hack, Anvil of Dawn and Ravenloft: Stone Prophet!!!

Reply 5 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I have found another two versions of Menzoberranzan in my collection.
Gamefest Forgotten Realms (2001), cd 1/2. Windows-only installer. You can install game in Windows and play the game from the DOSBox, but - info.dat is using the cd-rom letter from the Windows (i: in my case). So - you must edit info.dat or mount the cd-rom at the same letter (mount i i:\ -t cdrom).
The Forgotten Realms Archives (1997), cd 4/4.
Working w/o info.dat editing (DOS installer, only 1 game on this cd).
I don't have The Forgotten Realms Archoves: Silver Edition, but IIRC this version is just standard edition + Baldur's Gate demo on the 5th cd.

So - it looks like only Gamefest version need info.dat editing, because of Windows only installer.

P.S. I have tested only Deluxe DOS installation (20 MB). Maybe Econo (11 MB) installation will not work, but I'm just lazy...

Reply 6 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Uriel, don't feel bad. It was a legit problem 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 7, by Uriel_Dagda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, Dominius! I spent most of yesterday getting all the other games up and running.. After figuring it out with Menzoberranzan, the other's were a breeze... Looks like I'll be entertained for the next month or so.. Time to slip back into that mid 90's Time Machine! 😀