VOGONS

Space Quest 6

Topic actions

First post, by blusk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy, all!

I'm curious what information is known about getting "Error 29: Unable to initialize audio hardware ../vdmsound.cpp" during the Space Quest 6 introduction movie. I have that error very consistently on my Windows 2000 machine running DOSBox 0.60. I have found my Linux box, which is a considerably lesser machine, does run SQ6 without this error.

About the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a speed issue. My Linux box is a 700MHz machine, and my Windows machine is a 1700+. Any ideas on how to resolve the issue?

Brian

Reply 2 of 14, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been having the same error on my computer (Linux 1600 MHz)
I tried the the GOSIERRA but I could only find dacblast.drv comes with my game instead of an audblast.drv. When I try patching the dacblast.drv I get "Could not patch file. Sorry". If I try using an audblast.drv instead of dacblast the game hangs instead of starting. Is there are a newer version I am supposed to be using instead?

By the way shouldn't this thread or topic or whatever this is be more appropriate in Games and Apps instead of Development?

Reply 3 of 14, by blusk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I thought about putting it in Games and Apps, but decided on development instead because I've also tried compiling the CVS and running DOSBox, and get the same error. Thought someone might have some idea what was going on, however if this belongs in the other forum, feel free to move it over!

Sincerely,
Brian

Reply 4 of 14, by blusk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never mind, I believe I figured it out. If you disable DPMI memory in your dosbox.conf, the Error 29 disappears quite amazingly. I finally took the time to grab the Debug Enabled executable, and found the culprit in a hurry. Could someone move this thread to the appropriate forum? Thanks!

Brian

Reply 5 of 14, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the advice about turning off the DPMI. Only seems to work in the CVS as the 0.60 release just crashes when I try to run the game.
I don't know how to move threads (I assume only the moderators can do so) and I guess if they don't think it should be moved, it might as well stay here.

Reply 6 of 14, by blusk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh? I thought it would work for 0.60, too. Perhaps there is more to it than just the DPMI memory. I've been compiling the CVS myself, so I have no clue why it didn't work in 0.60. Some other change perhaps?

Brian

Reply 7 of 14, by blusk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way, in order to get Space Quest 6 to even load, I had to tweak the sq6dos.bat file that is used to load Space Quest 6 to avoid all the vesa checks and CD checks. What error message (if any) are you getting when you try to run Space Quest 6?

If you want to bypass the batch file entirely rather than edit it, you really only need the base command to launch SQ6: C:\SIERRA\SQ6DOS\sierra -o C:\SIERRA\SQ6DOS\resource.cfg. Give that a try, and see if you can run SQ6 directly and have it work. I'll go back and confirm my 0.60 tests explicitly to ensure it actually works for me under 0.60.

Brian

Reply 8 of 14, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually I've been using "sierra -o resource.cfg" all the time as I had the same trouble with the .bat.
When trying to start the game using 0.60 with DPMI off the dosbox crashes with the error "Exit to error: Unhandled CPU opcode". I tried several other games - Gabriel Knight 1 (crashed) and QFG 2 (ran) so I wouldn't be suprised if it was an issue to do with protected-mode games. On the other hand it could just be a Linux-specific problem that was fixed after the release.

Reply 9 of 14, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*clears throat*
Gabriel Knight 1 does work on dosbox.
the RESOURCE.CFG file just needs to be adjusted a tad.

Gabriel knight 1

... // bda. very bda!
... // but only if you turn godo into csah.

Reply 12 of 14, by blusk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oops... I guess the executable I thought was 0.60 wasn't 0.60 after all. I redownloaded the 0.60 source and recompiled it, and it died on SQ6 badly. So, I guess I'd best stop here, since I must've gotten it working on my own CVS compiles instead.

Brian