VOGONS

First post, by DOSMAN

User metadata

Hello,

I have no trouble playing this game on the DOS partition of my gaming computer and even could in Windows 98 if I wanted to, but I encounter many in the Trek gaming community who have trouble with the DOS Trek games and I wish to do all I can to help -them-.

I started with DOSBOX 0.60 and ran the game with video, sound effects, music, and voices, but the game slows down a great deal during certain close flybys of the Enterprise in the opening sequence and also during combat whenever an enemy ship can be seen on the viewer. It also slows down tremendously during the video sequence encountered when entering orbit of a planet. Disabling all sound helps some but it is still not perfect.

The computer I am testing this on is a Pentium III (coppermine-EB) 700 Mhz with 128 MB of RDRAM. It has an original GeForce with a Sound Blaster Live! Value sound card.

I have played around with the emulation speed/CPU cycle buttons while running DOSBOX as well as the frame skip. While it helps a little, I cannot increase emulation speed enough for the game to really be playable.

What I wish to determine is whether or not the game runs perfectly (as in how it would run in real DOS) on newer machines which I cannot test for myself. This is in order to determine a sort-of "minimum specs" for a computer system to run this game using DOSBOX.

The sound, music, and voices also stutter during play. Changes in emulation speed or frame skip settings have no effect.

Thank You!

Reply 8 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

I have played Star Trek 25th Anniversary on older dos systems and even 95-Me and get it to work fine.
But on xp I have to use dosbox and I get echoing sound and slight lower performance now and then. But I think minimum specs would be arround 50 mhz ,4 megs ram, 2 speed cdrom, 10 megs harddrive space