VOGONS

First post, by darkmage0707077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I know this was a problem in the past with .70 and earlier, but I thought it had been fixed with .74, and I bring a slightly new twist:

Installed the game fine, setup ran fine, set it to sound blaster with all correct settings, and SVGA mode 800x600 (even changing Windows resolution so the screen won't be "cut off" since Windows doesn't like small resolutions). Try to run the game, and it hangs after the graphics loader (where it's supposed to show 3d Realms logo, I get black screen forever).

Tried multiple different sound cards, and nothing. Tried all the different graphics options, and nothing.

Then I decided not to set my cd rom drive, and lo (wang) and behold (his wang), the game loads, albeit with no music of course. All different graphics settings and available sound cards work perfectly, too. When I tried remounting the cdrom and running it again, I once again got the cdrom of death.

So what's the problem, and how do I get it not to freeze when it tries to load the music from the cd? I can play it fine, sure, but I'd like the music again to have the complete package.

Thanks in advance!

Doxbos setup: default options, no mods, mount c c:\DOS, mount d d:\ -t cdrom

Reply 1 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be worth checking out the GOG.com version?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 5, by darkmage0707077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, Steam version doesn't include Twin Dragon or Wanton Destruction. And I'd rather not pay $6 for a game I already own.

I guess I'll just download the soundtrack and play that through a music player. It should similar enough that I won't notice.

Reply 4 of 5, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You do know that technically, you can add the two add-ons to the Steam version for no great cost? The add-ons were released as freeware awhile ago. Of course it may take a bit of work to get these ready, but at least that's not much different from the way it's done on older Windows setups, I guess.

Reply 5 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

To solve your problems you might want to try the additional cdrom mount commands(-ioctl or so - see the readme) OR when that fails, try making a bin/cue image (NOT an ISO) and imgmount that imagebinstead of the cd-rom.
The shareware version of alcohol 120% can make working images

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper