VOGONS

Battle Isle2

Topic actions

First post, by Antimodes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have a problem running BI2. I couldn't find any sollution on the internet yet...
I can start the game with DOSBOX from CD without any problems, but in this case I do not have any sound (because the soundcard etc. is not set in the setup). I installed the game, but when I type "bi2", it says all this stuff, then "INIT COMPLETE...", and then returns to the dos prompt. I mounted the CD as CD with all these options the other threads in this forum suggest, but I have not yet been successful 🙁

My computer:
WinXP home
AMD 1400
512 MB RAM (PCI 2700)
Epox 8k3a+
NVidia G4 TI 4200 with 64 MB RAM
Creatve Audigy2

Thank you for any help 😀

EDIT:
Ok, I convinced it to run finally; I had to set a different cd-path in the SETUP-program, because I have a BI-Compilation cd.
Now I have the problem described so often: The enemy destroys my units, no matter what. I tried all these different mount-options already posted here, but it did not help 🙁

EDIT2:
Ok, I solved it, finally. To anybody who has the same problem: I had to copy the subdirectory "BI2" from the CD on a new CD, where this directory is thr root directory, and name ist BATTLEISLE2. This problem has something to do with the copy protection, and occurs mostly on people (like me) owning the Platinum Edition (BI 1-3 + Incubation).
And now, finally, afters hours of browsing forums and trying, I can play...

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hi Antimodes - and everyone else into Battle Isle 2

I run BI2 directly from the CD-ROM. The trick is the specify the CD-ROM drive as D:\BI2 instead of just D:

Btw - this is the BI2 version I run (README.TXT):

BATTLE ISLE 2 - TITAN
Network CD
----------------------------------
Version 1.0 OEM, 01-FEB-96

Reply 2 of 10, by Warhawk80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Beating a not quite dead horse here. I am trying to run BI2200 and it runs just fine, but the piracy detector is being tripped. I get the almighty invincible computer opponent. I am currently using Win98 First Edition with F:\ as my CD-ROM drive. Actually my CD-ROM drive is a CD-RW drive, but I thought that would make no difference. I am running DOSBOX .62

mount c C:\bi2200 (root directory)
mount d F:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label BATTLEISLE2

My CD is according to the README an originall copy of the game. The header of the readme is labeled as: Battle Isle 2200 README.TXT
October 11, 1994

The game files are in the root of the CD Filestructure, not in a :\BI2 directory.

Now that I have specified my problem to the best of my ability, I have my questions. Is there a command in DOSBOX that lets me see what the current virtual directory is labeled as to confirm that it is indeed labeled properly?

Minimax mentioned to specify the drive as D:\BI2. What would the command line for that look like?

Thank you

Reply 3 of 10, by Warhawk80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Further update:

I tried the game again in DOSBOX .60 with the same conditions as above and received the same results. I also confirmed that the usecd number was right for the drive.

I also have a DVD-ROM on this thing. I am through for the night, but excluding further input from anyone I will try switching the CD from the CD-RW to the DVD-ROM.

With the time I am putting into this, I could have gone out to the surplus computer shop, built my own DOSBox, load it with DOS 6.0, and run all the old games I want 😀 but that's also about $200 I don't have to waste.

Reply 4 of 10, by Silent Bob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure if you really need to label the drive. I'm using this mount-command to play Battle Isle 2:
mount d: i:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 2
So add -ioctl to your line and it might work.

Reply 6 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Warhawk80 wrote:

Now that I have specified my problem to the best of my ability, I have my questions. Is there a command in DOSBOX that lets me see what the current virtual directory is labeled as to confirm that it is indeed labeled properly?

Try the attached program:

MS-DOS Disk Info v3.0 by Geoffrey Welsh: shows disk space, label, and current directory for local hard and floppy drives, network drives, CD-ROMs, etc

Warhawk80 wrote:

Minimax mentioned to specify the drive as D:\BI2. What would the command line for that look like?

Has nothing to do with DOSBox per se. I was refering to the game's setup screen, where you have to enter the path to the game CD.

Attachments

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 10, by Warhawk80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I officially don't get it. According to the info reader (Thanks a bunch Minimax, that's what I needed) the label is indeed "BATTLEISLE2". Entering in the -ioctl line did not help. I will make another run at it later.

Reply 8 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

@Warhawk80: What is the EXACT label on the CD-ROM when viewed from Windows? Exactly - UPPERCASE as well as lowercase?

Somewhere in the game (BATTLE2.EXE) there is string that must match the CD-ROM label - EXACTLY. It is burried between these strings:

$ strings BATTLE2.EXE | nl -ba | grep '   51'
51 ]&f&
510 v/ww
511 GFEDR
512 X4J*d
513 .___XXXXXXXXX
514 COMPUTER: EMS OVERFLOW!
515 COMPUTER: EXTERN DATA CHECKSUM WRONG !!!
516 COMPUTER: EMS CHECKSUM WRONG!!!
517 BATTLEISLE2
518 FREE DOS MEM: %ld
519 OVL DOS BUF SIZE: %u
$ od -c BATTLE2.EXE | grep '^0551'
0551440 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 C O M P U T E R :
0551460 E M S O V E R F L O W ! \0 C O
0551500 M P U T E R : E X T E R N D
0551520 A T A C H E C K S U M W R O
0551540 N G ! ! ! \0 C O M P U T E R :
0551560 E M S C H E C K S U M W R
0551600 O N G ! ! ! \0 \0 \0 \0 377 377 377 377 377 377
0551620 377 377 B A T T L E I S L E 2 \0 \0 \0
0551640 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0

(sorry, I'am an Unix-addict, so I get used to the Unix commands).

Note: As far as I know, the BATTLE2.EXE in "Battle Isle Platinum Edition" has this label listed as:

0551620 377 377   B   I   _   1   _   _   _   2              \0  \0  \0

I encountered the super-strong computer opponent, and the 'This is an illegal copy' message until I used a binary editor to fix the BATTLE2.EXE (which expected uppercase "BATTLEISLE2" as the label) to match the label on my CD-ROM: "Battleisle2".

Reply 9 of 10, by Warhawk80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So in Win98, I would probably want to find a hex editor again to view this. And since this is something to be changed, it should be in Battle2.exe on the harddrive.

Thank you alot. Yes, Windows says "Battleisle2" with lower case.

Reply 10 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

HexView - a binary editor for Windows:

http://www.qtam-computer.com/product.shtml