VOGONS

First post, by appollo147

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been using DOSBox for years but I just started using Dfend Reloaded yesterday, and I must say I love It. But, I do have a couple of questions. Before I begin though, I'd like to say I do legally own the games I am trying to run, but I find it so much more convenient to rip the discs to ISOs and store the original copies on my shelves. I would also like to say that these questions aren't directed toward any specific game but all multi-disc games in general.I will list the questions below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1.) How do I install and make a single profile for multi-disk games using ISOs?

2.) how do I change discs once I am playing and the game tells me to switch discs?

Reply 1 of 12, by Effrafax of Wug

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many times in the past I have found that multiple disks can be included all on the same DVD or ISO. This of course depends on the game. The only way to test it, is to do it. If the same file name appears across all the disks, then you need to check to see if they are indeed the same file just being repeated. I have somewhere all five of my CDs for the game "Schizm" and you can't even put that on just one DVD. I did place it all into one ISO in order to avoid swapping disks. I know that DOSBox allows you to mount ISO with the imgmount d C:\path\game.iso -t iso but no clue on Dfend.

Reply 2 of 12, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know what you mean by "single profile" as the idea behind D-Fend Reloaded is having a profile per game; anyway...
D-Fend Reloaded offers "n" slots for mounting ISOS, just check the mountings section.
You change the active image in DosBox by pressing Ctrl-F4.

Reply 3 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always use D-Fend Reloaded in conjunction with Daemon Tools Lite. I create a profile with a CD drive pointing to the DT's virtual drive. Then, I simply "change" the CDs using the Daemon Tools. The game program follows whatever is "inserted" into the CD "drive".

EDIT: I too create CD images from my original CDs. Much, much more convenient, ability to "store" many, many CDs, no CD spin waiting, noises, etc. Can game anywhere using a notebook, or even on a netbook which does not have a physical optical drive. And of course, the advantage of preserving the files and avoid the wearing-off of the actual CDs.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 5 of 12, by Effrafax of Wug

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I thought the whole point was not to even swap ISOs, but maybe I am wrong. I personally find it annoying to be interrupted by the game requesting disk 2 of 5. Sometimes, if the program can find the file, it just assumes you know best and continues on its merry way. There are very few games made in the 90's that required more than 2 or even 3 disks. Most of those now have reappeared in a DVD format.

Reply 6 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Effrafax of Wug wrote:

There are very few games made in the 90's that required more than 2 or even 3 disks.

Actually given the saturation of FMV madness in the market, there was quite a lot. A lot more than there were 486s with 256mb of RAM with the hard drive space exactly twice as that.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, too many of them. The great FMV explosion. A minimum of 5 or 6 CDs were quite common those days.

And I'm a sucker for these multi-CD games. Furthermore, I'm an adventure genre junkie.

Reply 8 of 12, by Effrafax of Wug

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really only came across "Schizm" (given to me eons ago as a gift) that spanned 5 CD's. I know "The 7th Guest" required 2 CD's but only to install and finish the last level. I felt that "Schizm" was a poorly done remake of the classic "Myst" which only required 1 CD. I fully understand that "Schizm" had more video and media, but still the same HQ rendered still frames and video overlays didn't make it appeal to my taste. Prior to games on CD, I had quite a few that spanned several floppies such as "Betrayal at Krondor" which has 7 disks.

Reply 10 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wing Commander IV: 6 CDs, Phant 2: 5 CDs, PQ SWAT: 4 CDs, Overseer: 4 CDs (though there was a DVD release, too), Pandora Directive: 6 CDs, Under a Killing Moon: 4 CDs, Blade Runner: 4 CDs. It is not FMV, but the original release of TLJ was 4 CDs.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ripper : 6 CDs
Black Dahlia : 8 CDs
Realms of the Haunting : 4 CDs
Silent Steel (Windows 3.1 Submarine Thriller Adventure) : 4 CDs
Byzantine - The Betrayal (Discovery Multimedia Adventure Game) : 6 CDs
Zork Nemesis : 3 CDs
Spycraft - The Great Game : 3 CDs
Lands of Lore 2 : 4 CDs
Lands of Lore 3 : 4 CDs

I have them all, and some more.

90's were famous for multi-CD games - both in DOS or Windows 3.x/9x - mainly because DVD technology was still new and expensive, at least, during the first half. And systems were not powerful enough during that time to play DVD movies through software alone and required a MPEG or DVD decoder card, which further burdened the end-user, or the mainstream consumers at that time.