VOGONS

First post, by Geek_Guy2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When i tried running Battle Chess , I use the viruatl drive method , not the dosbox method , It dosen't have music after starting the game 😢 .

System Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-Core 2.4Ghz, RAM: 4 GB, Video Card: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 5450 2048MB, Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio, OS: Windows 8.1 64-Bit, Motherboard: Intel

Currently Playing: SimCity 4 Deluxe, You Don't Know Jack Vol.1

Reply 2 of 14, by Geek_Guy2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Too hard to use the 60 second method and dosen't have music

System Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-Core 2.4Ghz, RAM: 4 GB, Video Card: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 5450 2048MB, Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio, OS: Windows 8.1 64-Bit, Motherboard: Intel

Reply 3 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Geek_Guy2001 wrote:

Too hard to use the 60 second method

😢

and dosen't have music

You also need to rip the CD to a BIN/CUE to get music. If you only have a .ISO, it will never work.

But maybe that's too hard..?

Reply 4 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

When it's too hard to post in the right forum, everything else must be way too hard...

*moving to Dosbox Games*

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 14, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ripped my copy of Battle Chess Enhanced CD-ROM to a BIN/CUE just to double check if it works correctly in DOSBox and it works like a charm. The game has one data track and 21 audio tracks. So you must make a BIN/CUE or CCD/IMG/SUB/CUE with CloneCD. That will works as well just fine. Never make an ISO file if the disk has audio tracks or you will loose the music/sound from the game. Then I used IMGMOUNT command in DOSBox to mount the disk image and installed the game. Nothing special and works like a charm.

If the 60 second guide is too hard for you, then here's a game specific step by step guide. Assuming you have bought the game and backed up your copy to a disk image. You can use 0.74 or SVN if you want. Both works fine. I have the stock .conf file without any changes.

First I made a test folder on my C:\ drive in Windows and I copied BATTLE_7.BIN and BATTLE_7.CUE in there. Then I launched DOSBox and set the cycles to max to speed up the installation a bit. All I did is typing the following command:

cycles max

Next I mounted my drives: C:\ and D:\. Remember the test folder? That's the thing I will mount. This is the command I used:

mount c c:\test
imgmount d c:\test\battle_7.cue -t cdrom

If you did all this correctly you switch to drive D:\ and open the CDCHESS folder and you launch the installer. These are the commands:

D:\
cd cdchess
install

After you launched the installer you press a key and you press ENTER to install the game in C:\CDCHESS. I guess you want the 33MB data file so you press y and ENTER again to start the installation.

The setup utility now will ask you to select your DISPLAY TYPE and you can choose two options here. OTHER (VESA in ROM, or you supply driver or PARADISE but for that you need to set the machine type in your DOSBox .conf file to svga_paradise.

Now you press ENTER again and you pick a SOUND CARD that DOSBox emulates. Both SOUND BLASTER 16 and SOUND BLASTER PRO works, and there's no Pro Audio Spectrum support yet in DOSBox. Choose one of those. Now for the MODEM choose the default NONE. And press ENTER to begin the installation.

Now wait for the files to decompress and copied to the final destination. If you did everything correctly you will get a INSTALLATION SUCCESSFULL ! message. Press any key and you will get kicked out the DOS prompt. Now switch to drive C:\ navigate to the CDCHESS folder and run CDCHESS.EXE.

The game should launch and you will have music as well. I'm 100% that the game works because I tested and taken the time to write this post. Hope this helps. If you still don't have music you did something wrong or you are using a pirated copy. If that's the case please buy the game! 😀

Reply 6 of 14, by Geek_Guy2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where can i download the bin file rip

System Specs:

Reply 7 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you need to rip it yourself from your original CD, offering it for download is illegal and not wanted here

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 14, by Geek_Guy2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works, at least i should try other Multimedia Dos Games to work

System Specs:

Reply 10 of 14, by SCHEUERMAN2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
P4R4D0X wrote:
First I made a test folder on my C:\ drive in Windows and I copied BATTLE_7.BIN and BATTLE_7.CUE in there. Then I launched DOSBo […]
Show full quote

First I made a test folder on my C:\ drive in Windows and I copied BATTLE_7.BIN and BATTLE_7.CUE in there. Then I launched DOSBox and set the cycles to max to speed up the installation a bit. All I did is typing the following command:

cycles max

Next I mounted my drives: C:\ and D:\. Remember the test folder? That's the thing I will mount. This is the command I used:

mount c c:\test
imgmount d c:\test\battle_7.cue -t cdrom

If you did all this correctly you switch to drive D:\ and open the CDCHESS folder and you launch the installer. These are the commands:

D:\
cd cdchess
install

After you launched the installer you press a key and you press ENTER to install the game in C:\CDCHESS. I guess you want the 33MB data file so you press y and ENTER again to start the installation.

The setup utility now will ask you to select your DISPLAY TYPE and you can choose two options here. OTHER (VESA in ROM, or you supply driver or PARADISE but for that you need to set the machine type in your DOSBox .conf file to svga_paradise.

Now you press ENTER again and you pick a SOUND CARD that DOSBox emulates. Both SOUND BLASTER 16 and SOUND BLASTER PRO works, and there's no Pro Audio Spectrum support yet in DOSBox. Choose one of those. Now for the MODEM choose the default NONE. And press ENTER to begin the installation.

Now wait for the files to decompress and copied to the final destination. If you did everything correctly you will get a INSTALLATION SUCCESSFULL ! message. Press any key and you will get kicked out the DOS prompt. Now switch to drive C:\ navigate to the CDCHESS folder and run CDCHESS.EXE.

The game should launch and you will have music as well. I'm 100% that the game works because I tested and taken the time to write this post. Hope this helps. If you still don't have music you did something wrong or you are using a pirated copy. If that's the case please buy the game! 😀

THANK YOOOU

Reply 11 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No abandonware is a simple rule here and a punishable offense 😉

Reply 12 of 14, by SCHEUERMAN2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yup, it is a simple rule (That I didn't know at the time). But no reason to be crass to anyone, myself or the guy that posted in wrong forum. Just let people know and correct things, don't have to be condescending. But I'm over it! Have a nice day all =D

Reply 13 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please go back and reread what I wrote. In your case I wasn't crass, just to the point, I wasn't condescending.

We do not support abandonware in this forum. Thread locked

In this case, when people are asking for help BUT say reading a guide is too hard, it means to me that all gloves are off because to me THAT is rude and coupled withposting in the wrong forum is a sign of users that don't bother to read anything. In normal circumstances I move the thread and point out that it is the wrong forum.

Reply 14 of 14, by pottzman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For anybody who is having trouble playing this, this is how I got it to work.

I was having the same problems mentioned where as soon as the animation for a battle started it would just freeze. I usually use DosBox 0.74 or yhkwongs dosbox (dated 25 Jan 2015) but both of these have the same problem.

I managed to get the game to work properly with music and digital sound effects by using DosBox-ECE r4055 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxEUSpZ8xHkv … w?usp=drive_web.
I copied the files into my dosbos install folder and ran it once to create a standard conf file "dosbox-ECE.conf"

and the only changes i made to the file were as follows

output=surfacepp ---> output=opengl (I dont think this helps to make the game work in any way its just my preference)
cycles=auto ----> cycles=max
tandy=auto ----> tandy=off
disney=true ----> disney=false
ems=true ----> ems=emm386
(from the readme file on the cd rom
"MEMORY
======

Battle Chess Enhanced CD-ROM uses expanded memory (EMS) to
store its animations. To use the expanded memory of your
computer, you need to install an expanded memory driver in
your CONFIG.SYS file. Generally, you need the following
two lines in your CONFIG.SYS file. You can add these lines
with the program EDIT, or with any text editor.

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE 1024")

with these settings the game works perfectly for me.......anyways I hope this helps some people trying to run this version of battlechess.....and I used daemon tools to mount the cue/bin file and then used dosbox to "mount D V:\ -t cdrom -fs iso" in the autoexec location. I did not use dosbox IMGMOUNT