VOGONS

First post, by Taiyoumaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Terribly sorry for my first post being a help request, I've been lurking in these forms for years now, hoping for a new version of DOSBox to come and fix this problem, if it is indeed the cause.

No matter what version I try (the latest GOG one, both win 95/dos versions respectively) I get the same annoying stuttering when I move my hero on the map. It is so frustrating it's unplayable for me.
Basically what happens is I issue a move command and during the movement animation my heroes will stutter and freeze for minuscule amounts of time. I'm using DOSBox 0.74 base with D-Fend reloaded. The actual GOG Dos version already comes preloaded with its own DOSBox 0.74 which acts exactly the same. I lost my really really old POL CD as I would've tried that version as well, but I have a sneaking suspicion the same will occur since there should be no functional difference between it and the Win95 version that GOG now supplies with their game

I've tried all emulation settings imaginable to no avail. Hell, I've even tried the yhkwong daum build and still get the same result. I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64 for the record. I can post screenshots of my settings if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 3 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

100 is the highest.
you can try experimenting with the blocksize. Either multiply or divide by 2.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 17, by Taiyoumaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Set it to 4096 and 8192, still stuttering, although a tiny bit less I think. I feel I should explain this a bit more. The game itself doesn't stutter anywhere else, fights are fine, speeds are great etc, sound is peachy. It just happens in the overmap randomly whenever the hero moves, it's like the game has miniscule freezes destroying the flow and after playing a bit more they start to get more noticeable. Should I maybe set the sample rate to 44100 instead of 48000 or 49716?

edit: setting it to 256 makes the sound go haywire. 512 looks like the minimum requirement for it to work.

Reply 5 of 17, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you using max cycles? If so, maybe try limiting that a bit, using for example cycles=max 75% or a fixed cycles count, such as 20000, or a combination of the two; cycles=max limit 50000.

Reply 6 of 17, by Taiyoumaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried Max, Auto and Custom (D-Fend Reloaded lists the max custom at 20000, although I've only tried setting it at 50000, and that seems to just slow down the game). For now Max looks like the best option really.

sidenote: can dosbox also play flacs or mp3s instead of the ogg music that the GOG HoMM 2 comes with? I'd like to rip the game music and create a selective soundtrack between SW and POL town themes, and was hoping I could run them in lossless quality.

Reply 7 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Why list mp3 if you want lossless? 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ogg in general or in this case? In this case GOG most likely took a compromise between download size and quality.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 17, by Taiyoumaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Both. At first their initial batch of songs was horribly ripped, filled with clicks and pops. They've since updated it to a higher quality rip but I still remain skeptical. Afaik, there's more checks and balances to go through when trying to rip to v0 mp3s using the latest EAC, so I've confidence it produces higher quality tracks. Naturally I'd still prefer if DOSBox could play flacs, is it possible? I realize the original DOS couldn't, although my knowledge may be even more limited than I thought.

Besides both Succession Wars and Price of loyalty had great tracks and I prefer one or the other for my castles, so I generally try to rip them myself. Pity they didn't make a toggle to switch between the two sets of tracks back in the day.

sidenote: should I maybe set the ramsize lower than 63 to stop the stuttering issues?

Last edited by Taiyoumaru on 2013-09-16, 18:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So it's still only GOG's rip you complain about. Rip the tracks yourself to HQ oggs and compare that.

Memsize, unless a game really needs it you should stay with the default.

Reply 13 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, try the default memsize. You brought the music issue up, not me 😉

Reply 15 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Your non-issue

Reply 16 of 17, by Taiyoumaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unrelated but unworthy of a new topic, is there a way to turn VSYNC on? I'm playing Bio Menace, an EGA graphics title, and the side-scrolling is really jerky, looks a lot like screen tearing. Additionally the game tells me I can run "BIOMENACE1 /COMP" to fix the jerkyness but I have no idea where to add the /COMP part in D-Fend

Reply 17 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

make a batch file with that command and start that instead of whatever else (though it must be written wrong, it (BIOMENACE1) has too many letters). _Or look for special builds of dosbox with vsync options.