VOGONS

First post, by stattad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to run this program in Dosbox. After I mount the drive in F and go to the directory, I type in Paradox hoping it will start. But instead I get the message that Paradox.msg can't be found. Help!

Reply 3 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Install it via the 60seconds guide

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 18, by stattad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I looked up 60-second guide and tried to follow the instructions. But when I type
Z:\>mount C "F:\Users\tad\My Documents\Pdox40\Paradox"
it said the folder doesn't exist. (which it does). By the way, I tried My_documents and Mydocuments too)

More help please?

Reply 6 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stattad wrote:

But when I type
Z:\>mount C "F:\Users\tad\My Documents\Pdox40\Paradox"
it said the folder doesn't exist. (which it does).

Well, evidently it doesn't. I suspect you will find that the folder is actually "F:\Users\tad\My Documents\Pdox40" and not "F:\Users\tad\My Documents\Pdox40\Paradox".

Try doing it step by step: see if you can use mount c "F:\Users", then restart and try mount c "F:\Users\tad", then mount c "F:\Users\tad\My Documents", and so on. You may have to try mydocu~1.

Note that as per the 60 Seconds Guide, if you have paradox.exe located in F:\Users\tad\My Documents\Pdox40, you should actually mount F:\Users\tad\My Documents as drive C, not F:\Users\tad\My Documents\Pdox40 .

stattad wrote:

And I don't have the Paradox disc anymore.

eBay?

P.S. If you have something to add to a post you made a few minutes ago, try editing your previous post rather than making a new one.

Reply 7 of 18, by stattad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I should have remembered to edit that last post.
I got it to accept
mount c f:\users\tad\mydocu~1
but no more. It doesn't recognize the pdox40 folder that I created. I don't understand why. And is there a command that repeats the last line that I typed like in a command prompt?

Reply 8 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

use arrow keys to scroll through your commands. only valid for current session, so when you restart dosbox your history is gone.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stattad wrote:

I got it to accept
mount c f:\users\tad\mydocu~1
but no more. It doesn't recognize the pdox40 folder that I created. I don't understand why.

Didn't you mount this before somehow, as per your first post?

What do you get when after mounting that folder, typing "c:", and then "dir" ? Post a screenshot if you can. (Use the "Upload Attachment" feature if you have no place to upload it otherwise.)

Reply 10 of 18, by stattad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Originally (and just now) I can mount f f:\pdox40
When I type Paradox to run the program I get the error "Paradox.msg file not found"
Here is a screenshot of the Paradox.exe command in my pdox40 folder.

Attachments

• Filename
    temp2.txt
    File size
    825.72 KiB
    Downloads
    75 downloads
    File comment
    Screenshot
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...Why did you paste the image inside a WordPerfect document and then upload the WordPerfect document!? (And why did you name it .txt!?) Please don't do that, ever. In the future please use Windows Paint if you have nothing more suitable (and save as .PNG or .JPG). Also, you can use Alt-Printscreen to capture the active window rather than your entire desktop. Alternatively, please see the DOSBox readme regarding screenshots.

stattad wrote:

Originally (and just now) I can mount f f:\pdox40

I don't think you read the 60 Seconds Guide very carefully.

In this case, just use mount c f:\, then type cd pdox40.

Reply 12 of 18, by stattad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Didn't know any other way to paste a screenshot. Still don't see anything in the 60-second guide about pasting or attachments. I thought I looked pretty carefully. But I went into Paint and saved a .png file there. I hope this one works.

Attachments

• Filename
    Screenshot.png
    File size
    65.29 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 13 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stattad wrote:

Still don't see anything in the 60-second guide about pasting or attachments.

I didn't say there was. Never mind.

In this case, just use mount c f:\, then type cd pdox40.

Did you try this?

Reply 14 of 18, by stattad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Definitely. I can get to that directory. Then I run the program and get the error. The status box says that it changed "cycles" to Max from Auto, so I changed it in the conf. file. Still won't work, though. Keep in mind that this program works fine on my old machine that I want to stop using. I now have a new computer.

Reply 15 of 18, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why do you want to run this database software from Borland in DOSBox? Are we now supporting non-gaming software? Guess not because I still see this wonderful topic posted by wd with that nice example: DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION

I wouldn't use DOSBox for that even if it runs. You might never know what could happen like your databases getting corrupted and such. Saw Microsoft Access on your desktop so I guess you could use that. I think that has support for importing old databases like dBase, FoxPro and Paradox databases if that's what you are trying to do.

By the way I managed to install my personal copy of Borland Paradox 4.0 in Virtual PC 2007 with MS-DOS 6.22 and it ran just fine. Also I get no errors in DOSBox, but I'm still against using it there. All I can say is that your copy is corrupted. Buy it from Ebay if you don't own it just like Jorpho suggested.

I deleted PARADOX.MSG to see what error you get and it should say this if you run the software: Can't load PARADOX.MSG system file

paradox.png
Filename
paradox.png
File size
19.56 KiB
Views
File license

So yeah, the best solution is to import your database to a modern software like Microsoft Access, LibreOffice Base, etc. Just export your database in Paradox to CSV and import that I guess. If for some odd reason you still need to use DOSBox enjoy the bugland. 😎

Reply 16 of 18, by stattad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was under the apprehension that it was for all DOS applications. One of the Youtube videos talked about getting Visicalc spreadsheets to work on his phone. Anyway, I run Virtual Machine 2007 on the old computer. I was trying to get away from that. But with my faster speed, I will have to try it again and see what happens. Thanks for all your help!

(Forgot to mention that I am a regular Access user, but I can't get it to do some of the things that Paradox can do, like run 35 queries at once. I had an Access "expert" try to figure it out, and he finally gave up. If it can be done, it is beyond my scope, and I went to a training class for beginner and intermediate)

Reply 17 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
P4R4D0X wrote:

Are we now supporting non-gaming software?

Sometimes we are much too kind.

stattad wrote:

Definitely. I can get to that directory.

It's not just about getting to the directory; it also matters very much how you get to that directory. Since you can't re-install the program, you have to mimic the folder layout from the original computer where it was installed.

stattad wrote:

Keep in mind that this program works fine on my old machine that I want to stop using.

What directory was Paradox using on your old computer?

If your old computer also used Paradox on drive F, then you will need to use mount f f:\, but not mount f f:\pdox40.

If your old computer used Paradox on drive C, then as I said before, you will need to use mount c f:\.

Reply 18 of 18, by stattad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just installed Virtual PC 2007 on my new computer and got it going right away. I had no idea it would be that easy! I'm back up and running, but I definitely learned a lot from this dialogue. Thanks again.