VOGONS

Redguard and 3dfx

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Advent-nurse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get Redguard to work in 3dfx mode for three or four days now, and I'm starting to run out of ideas. The game runs in software mode (XnGine) but not smoothly, which is why I want to play it with Glide. My config:

2. Core i7 2600K, 3. Corsair 8 GB DDR3, 4. Radeon HD6950, 5. Asus Xonar D2X,

6. Windows 8.1 64-bit and Windows 98 SE in VMware,

7. Redguard 1.10 I think (just the regular version),

8., etc. The problem is that the game just won't start. It will show a black window quit. I'm using the latest DOSBox Daum, and tried that with nGlide 1.02 and the new DX11 dgVoodoo (2.3). There's some threads to be found about Redguard on the web already but they all say the same, and none of the solutions work.

A few DOSBox config instructions I followed: memsize=63/64, mounted the game folder and both real and virtual Play disc, fulldouble=true, cycles=50000 (although auto worked better when playing with XnGine), and others.

Yesterday I was fed up with it and installed VMware with a fresh Windows 98 SE. I loved seeing the OS again, installed both sound drivers and DX7, but sadly things still don't work. I've tried dgVoodoo 1.31 and 1.40 with all sorts of settings (Working in VDD mode on/off, Closer to a real hardware on/off, bit depth of screen and textures on 32, Emulate W-buffering, both running and not running the server...). I actually come furthest with the server running and without VDD mode. Something to do with ATi I read, although I'm surprised that still holds true. The game goes fullscreen, but freezes leaving the screen black.

What is going on? Am I overlooking the obvious?

Edit: I wanted to add that after the game crashed, I was sometimes left with a DOS window saying something like 'memory manager not running', IF I remember correctly. I can't reproduce it atm and even forgot if it was in W8 or W98.

Reply 1 of 4, by Advent-nurse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I found out Glidos actually works when using DOSBox. I've been avoiding it because it's paid, but it works, blue logo included.

I'd very much like to figure out why the game runs with Glidos, but not with nGlide, dgVoodoo or in W98. If it's the wrapper itself, so be it, I'll have to buy Glidos. But that also means I won't be able to use my DOSBox front-end, which is a pity, and quite frankly I think 10 bucks is too much for a wrapper I'll use just for this game.

Edit: So I've tried Glidos in my virtual machine and I'm getting the error I mentioned above again, which turns out to be 'ERROR!(17) Error Initializing graphics mode', and than later under Object manager information, 'Manager not open'. Perfomance with Glidos using DOSBox seemed even worse than with XnGine, so my new goal is either 1) getting it to run in W98, preferrably with dgVoodoo or 2) getting it to run with dgVoodoo 2.3 and DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no emulated 3D hardware available in VMware when VMware is running Windows 98. (Presently the only way to get 3D hardware in a virtual machine running Windows 98 is with one of the DOSBox builds that includes Voodoo emulation, and that's not a particularly good solution.)

I'm not entirely sure what you're doing, but if you're really eager to tie yourself up in knots, you can try running the game in VMware in XP with a glide wrapper.

Reply 3 of 4, by Advent-nurse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That explains a lot. I think I'll just drop the effort for now and play the game in XnGine mode. I'm still curious though, why the game works with Glidos but not the others. nGlide is supposed to support the game, and has been reported here to work perfectly under Windows 7 64-bit. That would mean it's not the wrapper, but something else that's failing.

I vaguely suspect some obscure Windows 8 security feature is locking things down, but try to find that setting.

Reply 4 of 4, by Eirle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nGlide is for Windows-based games, Redguard is a DOS game that needs to be installed in Windows.
nGlide runs pretty well in Windows 10.
I'm playing Redguard in Windows XP Professional x32 with VDMSound,2.2ghz dual-core CPU, runs at least at 20fps in NTVM, VDos32 is rumored to runs even faster and smoother, DosBox is slower because it emulates an entire system.
With a setup like yours will have really good fps, i installed a GPU in mine PC,but doesn't seem to affect in Glidos.

Why has God abandoned us?