VOGONS

First post, by foobar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

First, thanks for DOSBox! Great stuff!

Yesterday I spent some quality time installing Win 3.11 in DOSBox in order to play the game Dark Seed II. I got everything working with SB and S3 drivers so that's great.

What I noticed is that MIDI music playback isn't that good. When I play the same file in dosboxed 3.11 vs. on my XP host, the latter is much more engaging. I changed the MIDI Mapper in 3.11 to 'SB16 All MIDI' which is better than the default but still not the best. (BTW first time I played the game was on a WinME era machine with better MIDI so I'd like to replay it with the same experience.)

Is there a way to get better MIDI samples into 3.11? Or any way to pull the pure MIDI from DOSBox so it gets fed directly to the host? From what I read, regular MIDI cards aren't emulated, but directly transfered to the host - is it possible to do the same with SB16 while keeping the sound functionality?

Thanks! And sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm kinda stuck here.

Reply 1 of 1, by foobar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I had a revelation just after writing my question.

The problem were the installed SB drivers. I used my backed up W3.11 installation without the SB drivers and installed the built-in SB 1.5 driver instead. This keeps the Windows default MIDI mappings. When I pick "General MIDI", it sounds almost the same as what I'm used to.

Attached is a comparison screenshot.
Track 1: General MIDi (Win 3.11)
Track 2: WinXP midi
Track 3: SB16 All MIDI (Win 3.11 SB driver)

See how the 3rd one is different from the first 2 (not just the volume level).

So I can play the game like I remember it 😀 Though I now have to wonder how was the music supposed to sound originally.

Attachments

• Filename
    midi-audacity.png
    File size
    41.92 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception