VOGONS

First post, by Pashitos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game is not running at all. If I start install, DOSBox gives a mistake and throws me out. If I run exe file right from CD, it says "no cd".

Reply 1 of 14, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

See if you can install it from windows, then play from DOSBOX. If you are still required to install from DOSBOX, make sure you have set up your CD rom drive like so

-c "mount e e:\ -t cdrom"

Be sure to include the quotes as shown.

I should warn you that the videos will still be very slow but the game will run fine otherwise. It is a game heavy on EMS and DOSBOX is not the greatest at large amounts of EMS emulation.

Reply 2 of 14, by Pashitos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can`t install it from anywhere at all. If I am trying to run it:

DOSBox - crashes and quits right from the start (the same with installation)
VDMSound - "taking advantage of extra memory" appears and lasts forever (installation crashes)
native DOS - the same as with VDMSound (installation quits)

The problem is I don`t have EMS memory, It wouldn`t be a problem in DOSBox, but the programme crashes...

Shit, I really want to play the game.

Reply 4 of 14, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some troubleshooting here. Try tapping CTRL-F12 about six or seven times and then try the install. Alternately, depending on how the install program works, you can manually copy all the files to Hard Drive and them run the Return of the Phantom exe, thus bypassing the install program.

Let me know if this works.

Reply 5 of 14, by Action

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😕 I'm trying all that is suggested. Nothing works. Even self-installing doesnt work.

This is my biggest reason for getting dosbox 😊

Please, can anyone help??

ps - I have actually tried the CD-ROM version and the floppy disks

Reply 6 of 14, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This seems to be same problem that you encounter with Dragonsphere (same producer and obviously similiar game engine). The games try to fade in some pictures and that function fails.

The solution is also the same: Use the latest CVS version (NOT DOSBOX 0.61 or earlier) and edit phantom.res with a text editor.

There, replace all occurences of -o:1 and -o:2 by -o:0.

After these changes, the games runs fine here. I haven't tested it thoroughly but I can run install and enter the main menu, the intro and the game itself.

Reply 8 of 14, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Action wrote:

Is this "CVS" version available in the downloads section?

No.. Take a look at this thread:

CVS Builds (once a week)

But you should wait a few days before downloading the file. I just submitted a bugfix that solves the fading problem (so no need to edit the phantom.res then).

Reply 9 of 14, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know what you mean. I get the same problem. Except I looked through the directories on the disc and found one called Chrispy.. odd name i thought looked into it. Found the actual installer program the other is some kind of menu interface.

So I installed it but it gave me a really strange error
It's the same very time:

Error "-32" in module "5" data: 0 0

Most recent memory check: 471136
Most recent DOS error: 2
Stack use indicator: 10077

Any idea what this means and if it can be used to fix the problems?
That's I'll i can tell. I'm using the Dosbox version from Feb 3. It might be updated by now or tomorrow since today is the 8th.

Ieremiou

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 10 of 14, by Pashitos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I`ve tried everything and I have the same problem as priestlyboy. Someone was saying, that Return of the Phantom and Dragonsphere have the same running problem, because of the same core. But, with VDMSound 1.1.0 I`ve managed to run Dragonsphere (with speech and all) and RotP is giving "Error "-32" in module "5"" all the time - in Win 98, WinXP with DOSBox or VDMSound.

Reply 11 of 14, by Altomar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem.

I use cd version.
I found that the folders ‘Phantom’ and ‘Resource’ should be placed in root e.g. c:\phantom, c:\resource
Then it was executed regularly with dosbox 0.62 with alone exception that I cannot hear the speeches.
Only that it is heard i is a annoying noise. I tried to change setting via install but without result.
Please, can anyone help?????

Reply 12 of 14, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Altomar wrote:
I had the same problem. Error "-32" in module "5" data: 0 0 Most recent memory check: 471136 Most recent DOS error: 2 Sta […]
Show full quote

I had the same problem.

I use cd version.
I found that the folders ‘Phantom’ and ‘Resource’ should be placed in root e.g. c:\phantom, c:\resource
Then it was executed regularly with dosbox 0.62 with alone exception that I cannot hear the speeches.
Only that it is heard i is a annoying noise. I tried to change setting via install but without result.
Please, can anyone help?????

You can find more info in this thread:
Dragonsphere
In DOSBox and with VDMSound 2.0.x speech doesn't work at all, only a noise is heard. You may try VDMSound 1.1. (but I have speech corrupted with it).

Reply 13 of 14, by Altomar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Τhanks for quick response Jiri.
I tried VDMSound 2.0.x but when I choose to start the game I got this message

“VDMS Launchpad – Phantom.
An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly. Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application.”

I will try also his older version.

I tried and installed connectix virtual PC v5.2 and tried the Return of the Phantom. The result was a little better than before. When someone began to say something the voice to them was cut after a while. The annoying noises stopped but the speeches when began after a while they were cut abruptly.
I have searched all internet and the best that I could make was this.
Hopes somebody can find something better

Reply 14 of 14, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Altomar wrote:

I tried VDMSound 2.0.x but when I choose to start the game I got this message “VDMS Launchpad – Phantom. An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly. Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application.”

You should have two options - "close" and "ignore" and the game window should be minimized to the taskbar at that moment. If you choose ignore and click on taskbar button, the game should work.

Altomar wrote:

I will try also his older version.

Yes, you can get speech only with VDMSound 1.1. I am interested, if it will work fine for you.

Altomar wrote:

I tried and installed connectix virtual PC v5.2 and tried the Return of the Phantom. The result was a little better than before. When someone began to say something the voice to them was cut after a while. The annoying noises stopped but the speeches when began after a while they were cut abruptly.

I had the same bad experience with sound in VPC 5.2 - sound skipping or stuttering was present in all of the games I tried on PC with 2.5 GHz processor.