VOGONS

First post, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

alright, this will be hard to explain, but please bear with me.

i have the original floppy disks of the game Loom.
via the upgrade to the CD ROM version of the game which can be downloaded at HOTU (and yes, that's legal), i have the CD version of Loom.
no confusion there, right?
well... i was trying to run that CD's exe (loom.exe) and it said in ingame, displayed in a bar which looked a lot like the Pause bar you get in LucasArts adventures, that i needed the LOOM Talkie CD to be able to play the game. after that, it exits back to 'dos'.
note that it was ingame (it needs to be in order to display a bar like that, right?), but the game itself didn't start.

after trying out some flags for the cdrom, i got it to run using -ioctl.
it then didn't give me such an error, and the game runs.

in the readme file it says this kind of accessing a cdrom (ioctl) is only for Win NT platforms (since those support it).
i tried to look up this type of accessing, but i couldn't find information on what makes it so special, or at least different than regular accessing.

so... i'm wondering the following...
why would Loom require ioctl cdrom accessing?
plus: i'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some information concerning ioctl cdrom accessing. if it can't be used in win95 etc (and dos maybe?) how come a game created for a DOS environment has the need for it?

thanks in advance.

... // bda. very bda!
... // but only if you turn godo into csah.

Reply 1 of 4, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have completely lost me. I downloaded the patch, but I cannot get the burn to work. The "-ioctl" is called an "unknown flag" and doesn't work at all for me. What exactly are you doing? Where do you put this flag? Did you manage to burn your CD? If so, why does it say you need your CD in the CD-Rom drive?

Reply 3 of 4, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

to Hazekel:
i didn't use the burn option...
as stated int he readme-file, you can just use your own burning program.
i used Nero, and set it to Image Recording Device... thus burning a CD image file, which i can emulate with Daemon-Tools.
(options: Mixed CD, with as data the data-files from data.zip, and as audio the mp3-file with +- 230 seconds of pause)
the -ioctl flag is needed when mounting that cdrom in dosbox. like this:
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

to Snover:
which means regular DOS could run it as well, right?
that's all i needed to know, i guess. thanks.

... // bda. very bda!
... // but only if you turn godo into csah.

Reply 4 of 4, by -=Martin=-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the Version of Loom with redbook Audio (where you can listen to the audio on your stereo)

Did someone manage to start the game and hear something ?
At the moment i am mounting my cdrom this way:

mount d e:\ -t cdrom

the game works, but as I said I cant hear the voices 🙁

EDIT: Ha, got it to work 😀

mount d e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0
was the correct way 😀

MfG
Martin