Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard : ABIT NF7-II
Processor : AMD Athlon XP
RAM : DDR PC3200 512M * 2
Video board : GForce4 Ti 4200 w/ 64MB DDR RAM
Sound board : Onboard AC97 6-channel
Operating system : Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP4
Game name : Nanpa 2(a.k.a Doukyusei, Classmates)
Description of problem :
I played Nanpa 2(Japanese Flirting-With-Girls Simulation Game by ELF, 1995) on DOSBox. It was great! People who struggled and got frustrated would know how it is difficult to play japanese DOSV/DOSJ games on DOS. (Two major problems are Sound and Memory. Japanese dos games require ONLY SoundBlaster and above 640KB free conventional memory. The most annoying problem is that current Realtek soundcards don't support DMA. I have an old computer and a new computer. On old computer, I installed SB driver and editted Autoexec.bat and Config.sys to make more free memory, and succeeded to playing Nanpa2 with sound. On new computer, I succeeded to play the game but couldn't hear sound.)
THE ONLY PROBLEM IN DOXBox IS THE SOUND. The background music is jerky.
1. This is correct(DOS) music : http://home.kcnet5.com/karlstyner/npanex86.wav
2. This is jerky(DOSBox) music : http://home.kcnet5.com/karlstyner/npdosbox.wav

Good Luck to DOSBox members 😀[/b]

Attachments

• np2open.gif
    Filename
    np2open.gif
    File size
    55.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Nanpa 2 opening
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by taiken7

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suspect the errors are caused by the SoundBlaster - 2/2.666/3 bit ADPCM compressed audio.
Since we can't find any samples (audio clips or programs on the internet), (or documentation) this feature is not yet implemented.

[So if you see any .VOC files with "Nanpa2", please link one of them somewhere]

Reply 2 of 10, by wiebermensch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In NANPA2, there is no .VOC files. The file extensions are :
FLAGX (with no extension)
*.SYS, *.ANI, *.EXE, *.DRV, *.DIC, *.TXT, *.A6, *.C5, *.CFG, *.DAT,
*.FNT, *.GP4, *.M, *.MAP, *.MES, *.COM, *.BAT, *.S

Reply 3 of 10, by BunnySwan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

how did u get it to work? i can't get it to work.

my laptop is
pentium 3
128 ram
about 600 mhz
winXP

i've tried using a 98 boot disk to run the game in pure dos, but i still get the memory problem... same as dosbox

i keep getting to the flag6 then it stops

Reply 4 of 10, by wiebermensch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox emulates memory, so if you run Nanpa2 (and other Japanese games) on DOSBox you can run it.
Even on Windows 98 and Windows 2000 you can run it.
(I mean if you are lucky. It's related to environment variable, i.e, Autoexec.bat and Config.sys, so more chance to fail.)
Note that Nanpa2 displays NOT correct error message often.
I realized that only a month ago! Maybe you will see this message:
Not enough memory or Not enough XMS memory.
But don't be fooled! The chances are THERE ARE MISSING FILES!
When I finally realized that, I got COMPLETE VERSION again and succeeded to play the game. That's all because of stupid wrong error message.

If you have correct complete files, I am sure you will have no problem running Nanpa2 on DOSBox0.61
If DOSBox always crashes at certain point in the game, it's because you have buggy .MES files. I also have experienced this several times. The solution is to backup .MES files and replace them with ORIGINAL JAPANESE FILES. Translated .MES files(Jap -> Kor, Jap -> Chi, ...) have bugs. After safely passing the buggy part, you can restore .MES files if you want.

Reply 5 of 10, by BunnySwan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so ur saying.. run the program with japanese data, then when the game starts correctly, replace .mes files with the language i want.

and do u by any chance know where to find the japanese version?

Reply 6 of 10, by newsdee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is unrelated to sound, but it's a question for wiebermensch: do you know some titles of other Korean games in the style of Nanpa2? I know this will sound weird, but I want to use them to practice my Korean (as I have used adventure games to practice my English several years ago). I guess most Japanese games must have patches for Korean...

Don't panic.

Reply 8 of 10, by wiebermensch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wonderful!
Current DOSBox CVS ( > 0.61) can emulate OPL3(Yamaha YMF-262)!
I played Nanpa2 on recent DOSBox a moment ago,
and I could hear great sound! You guys are great!
Thank you!
(improvement : OPL2 -> OPL3)

Reply 10 of 10, by kraine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I too have the problem with the chinese fonts not displaying properly. More than half the chinese words does not show up and are blanks in the sentences. Does anyone have a temp/perm solution for this? Thanks