VOGONS

First post, by Zachary1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

-I have been successfully running my original copy of DOS Lemmings under DOSBOX 0.74.
I discover that that the pre-level description screens get their colours distorted.
Can someone tell me what to do in order to fix this problem?

Reply 3 of 11, by Zachary1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried both of these. The tandy option siezes the program, and the vgaonly option does not get rid of
the pre level description screen's colour corruption.

Isn't there a specific fix for this issue? Could someone kindly help if possible?

Reply 4 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

machine=tandy might work if the game includes a Setup program that will let you specifically select the Tandy video mode.

Actually, have you checked to see that the correct video mode is selected in whatever setup program is included with the game?

Reply 6 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is a batch file named LEMMINGS.BAT that runs a program named AUTODET.EXE to detect or allow selection of the system type. With the machine=tandy setting you should be running the Tandy-specific game executable (TGALEMMI.EXE) because the CGA and EGA/VGA executables will not work correctly on the Tandy machine type.

The level intro screens are showing correct colors here in DOSBox 0.74 with the machine=vgaonly setting. Make sure you're correctly setting the machine type in dosbox.conf, and note that changing the machine type at the command prompt does not put the new setting into effect.

Reply 7 of 11, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No Tandy machine silliness required to get DOS Lemmings running in DOSBOX 0.74, works fine in VGA.

machine=vgaonly
cycles=fixed 3000

If you have that in your CONF all you need to do is run VGA Lemmings with the following command line:

LEMVGA.com -v -p -a

I forgot what each parameter stands for, Google it...Here are the results:

vgalemmi_000.jpg vgalemmi_001.jpgvgalemmi_002.jpg

Reply 8 of 11, by Nowhere Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Btw - I also have this little bug. If I set "vgaonly", will I be able to play the game in EGA? I like good EGA graphics, in case of Lemmings the "marble" levels look better in EGA (more blue instead of bathroom pink 😉), the "special" levels can look completely different in EGA and especially in case of the first "special" level ("A Beast of a level") it looks very good...

Reply 9 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nowhere Girl wrote:

Btw - I also have this little bug. If I set "vgaonly", will I be able to play the game in EGA? I like good EGA graphics, in case of Lemmings the "marble" levels look better in EGA (more blue instead of bathroom pink 😉), the "special" levels can look completely different in EGA and especially in case of the first "special" level ("A Beast of a level") it looks very good...

It should work, but you can set machine=ega to make sure EGA graphics will work.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 10 of 11, by Christopher Salem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Norton Commander wrote:

If you have that in your CONF all you need to do is run VGA Lemmings with the following command line:

LEMVGA.com -v -p -a

I forgot what each parameter stands for, Google it...

I found this:
-a Switches off the adlib board autodetect (use this to use pc-speaker)
-d Amstrad
-e EGA
-m Mono monitor being used
-n Switches off the mouse autodetect
Note:- Lemmings will not work on a few older machines because
they do not take mice into consideration, switching off the
mouse autodetect should cure the problem.
-o,-p High-performance pc, or PS2 (I can't see any difference)
-v VGA

It would be nice to bypass the pre-program menu, but according to the information I found:
There is no switch for PC compatible selection.

Reply 11 of 11, by Christopher Salem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Norton Commander wrote:
Here are the results: […]
Show full quote

Here are the results:

vgalemmi_001.jpg

I don't get the result your image shows. The pre-level screens have a corrupt background as shown (see my own image). Post-level screens are fine. VGA IBM Compatible seems to provide the most accurate color, while /o and /p somewhat corrupt the Lemmings Tools and Map at the bottom of the screen (pre-level screens corrupted no matter what option is selected).

lemcorpt.jpg
Filename
lemcorpt.jpg
File size
371.19 KiB
Views
File comment
Pre-Level Screen corruption (Post-Level Screen is uncorrupted)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception