VOGONS

First post, by kmghXc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have windows xp (not pro) on my system and I have the kings quest collection. I can play kings quest 1-4 fine, all I have to do is drag the folders to my hard drive and they play fine but kings quest 5/6 have really given me problems about the audio. says it can't detect my audio. is there an emulator or something I can do? I already went to http://ftp.sierra.com/patches/pc/sb16drv.exe to download a SoundBlaster drive but that didn't do much.... I've tried running dos box , both the front end and the .60 version... when I typed " mount c c:/dosprog" in the beginning of .60 it says the directory doesn't exist. for some reason I am in drive Z to begin with... finally i created a new folder in my c drive ( c:\dosprog) and the mount c:\dosprog command finally worked... but now i don't know what to do after that..

ok i finally figured that you are suppose to drag the program into the folder so i got it to work better but it's not fully fuctional. it doesn;t get frozen when the people speak but i still can't hear any sounds... any suggestions?

ugh I am stuck and I don't know what to do. is there an easier way either in the front end or the dos version? I know kings quest 5/6 is supported, I just don't know how to work it... any suggestions are appreciated!

Reply 1 of 5, by Quasi_Stomach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're almost definitely seeing the same problem I did. You want to make sure the program is set up to use the Thunderboard instead of the sound blaster. It's something wrong with the soundblaster coding in KQ 5,6 on faster computers...waits for a response that came even before it started waiting or something like that.... try it!

These prezels are makin' me thirsty!
-- Jerry, George, Elaine and Cosmo

Reply 2 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Windows version of KQ5 will run fine on XP. You just have to set your resolution down, before you launch the game. Compatibility Mode does not change it soon enough so the game quits before it even starts. A convenient way to do this is to make a batch file to replace the Windows shortcut and set the bat file to run 640x480 256 colors. To install the Win version, go to the KQ5 folder on your CD and run setup.exe, not install.exe.

The Win version of KQ6 has higher resolution dialogs images and is much nicer than the DOS version. It's a little involved to get going on XP, but it can be done. See this thread on Sierra's boards on how to do it:

http://community.vugames.com/WebX?14@46.er7zc … xXyR.3@.f00b588

Reply 5 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

ok i created a batch but i still recieve an insufficent memory error, and i didn't see a Thunderboard choice, my only choices were

for sound: adlib,tandy3,ibm or pc compadable, roland
mt-32

speech: cms sound blaster, IBM ps1, tandy with DAC, pro audio spectrum, disney sound source, compuadd multimedia card