VOGONS

First post, by OptimalDesigns

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While running the OS386 DOS extender program, I'm getting the following error msg. from SVN-Daum DOSbox v. 0.74:

Press any key to continue . . .
DOSBox version SVN-Daum
Copyright 2002-2013 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
GUI: Press Ctrl-F10 to capture/release mouse.
Save your configuration and restart DOSBox if your settings do not take eff
ect.
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Local\DOS
Box\dosbox-SVN-Daum.conf
D3D:Error when initializing pixel shader support. Disabling shaders.
PIT: Hacks disabled
forcerate I got ''

MIDI:Opened device:win32
ISA Plug & Play BIOS enabled
VGA BIOS occupies segment 0xc000-0xc7ff
Glide:LFB access: read-write
Glide:Unable to load glide2x library, glide emulation disabled
WinPcap has to be installed for the NE2000 to work.
D3D:Device is lost, locktexture() failed...
D3D:No texture to draw to!?

My Conference setting are updated with each starting of DOSbox by using the -conf option, if that makes any difference.
The error msg I'm focussing on is "Glide:Unable to load glide2x library, glide emulation disabled" ... why? Is the PATH variable in error or what ... ideas?

Thanks, Phil

Reply 1 of 11, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OptimalDesigns wrote:

This error's a bit strange to me. Do you not have the Direct X libraries loaded on this machine? Or have an old video card that doesn't support shaders?

OptimalDesigns wrote:

You have glide emulation via a glide wrapper enabled in your config and don't provide a glide2x.dll/glide2x.ovl/glide2x_emu.ovl glide wrapper. You can either: disable the glide emulation in your config, swap to the non-wrapper based glide emulation, or provide a the wrapper files in your \dosroot folder (likely the same as your exe folder, unless you are using a frontend). Look for "[glide]" in your config file for further details.

Last edited by kolano on 2014-08-28, 17:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 2 of 11, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OptimalDesigns wrote:
[…]
Show full quote

Besides what Kolano said above...are your video drivers up to date?

Reply 4 of 11, by OptimalDesigns

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodbat wrote:
OptimalDesigns wrote:
[…]
Show full quote

Besides what Kolano said above...are your video drivers up to date?

Well I'm running a refurnished Windows 7 that I just got a month or two ago. DOSbox 0.74 has no comments like this ... what would you recommend in order to get rid of this error msg.?

Phil

Reply 5 of 11, by OptimalDesigns

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolano wrote:
This error's a bit strange to me. Do you have the Direct X libraries loaded on this machine? Or have an old video card that does […]
Show full quote
OptimalDesigns wrote:

This error's a bit strange to me. Do you have the Direct X libraries loaded on this machine? Or have an old video card that doesn't support shaders?

OptimalDesigns wrote:

You have glide emulation via a glide wrapper enabled in your config and don't provide a glide2x.dll/glide2x.ovl/glide2x_emu.ovl glide wrapper. You can either: disable the glide emulation in your config, swap to the non-wrapper based glide emulation, or provide a the wrapper files in your \dosroot folder (likely the same as your exe folder, unless you are using a frontend). Look for "[glide]" in your config file for further details.

Disabled glide by setting glide=false and splash=false in my conf file. Still getting the shader errors but glide are gone. here is what remains:

CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Local\DOS
Box\dosbox-SVN-Daum.conf
PIT: Hacks disabled
forcerate I got ''

VGA BIOS occupies segment 0xc000-0xc7ff
SHELL:Redirect output to scrout
ooo

Any other msg that suggests changes to my config file?

Thanks, Phil

Reply 6 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Change the output= setting to something other than "direct3d", or just use the official 0.74 build that doesn't have the added complications that seem unnecessary for your purpose.

Reply 7 of 11, by OptimalDesigns

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I went back to the vanilla DOSbox and all these errors went away! I'm doing math stuff with maybe a plot once in a while, so the simpler DOSbox does fine.

Thanks for your input!
Phil

Reply 8 of 11, by OptimalDesigns

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Change the output= setting to something other than "direct3d", or just use the official 0.74 build that doesn't have the added complications that seem unnecessary for your purpose.

Well I'm back to this problem ... the vanilla DOSbox worked for all but one step, thus had to drop it.

Yes, my CONF file shows 'output=direct3d' ... Possible values: surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, openglhq, ddraw, direct3d. I'll tr4youtput=ddraw ... think that will work?

I tried output=ddraw and here is what I got:

DOSBox version SVN-Daum
Copyright 2002-2013 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
GUI: Press Ctrl-F10 to capture/release mouse.
Save your configuration and restart DOSBox if your settings do not take effect.
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox-SVN-Daum.conf
forcerate I got ''

Glide:LFB access: read-write
SHELL:Redirect output to output

My app uses no video nor game drivers ... what is that MIDI:Opened device:win32? It that win32 a 32 bit words directory? Won't that cause problems in DOSbox?

Phil

Reply 9 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The default in standard DOSBox is output=surface. You should also have pixelshader=none , if you don't already. At any rate, pixel shaders are purely aesthetic and probably entirely irrelevant to anything you are doing; it should not matter if shaders are disabled.

You may want to consider trying the EmuCR build available at http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds ; it has none of the enhanced features of the Daum build but may very well include whatever bugfix was introduced that allows your program to run.

I do not know what makes you think win32 is a "32 bit words directory". The MIDI message is entirely standard at DOSBox startup and nothing you should be concerned about. If you really want to get rid of it for some strange reason, you can probably change the line mididevice=default to mididevice=none.

Reply 10 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

We really don't support any other than vanilla builds.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper