VOGONS

Full version or shareware crap? Heretic

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Bluefoot_Bandit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I recently purchased what I though was the full version of Heretic, but it turns out I should have done more checking because it was just the shareware version which only includes the first episode (which I already have anyway).

I want to purchase the full version, and I think I've found it but I want to be sure so I don't wait around for a week, get all excited when it comes, and disappoint myself again. It seems the promo Shareware version has the word "SHAREWARE", written very large on the bottom center of the disk, also it appears that the promo version's cd case has no cover art.

The version I'm about to purchase has "shareware" printed smaller and to the left on the disk and the jewel case does have cover art. Am I safe in assuming that this is the full version?

On a side note there is another version with a reddish cd and cover art that says it includes extra levels, an editor, etc, I was wondering if anyone knows if that version can be played on dosbox?

Thanks for any help, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you absodamnlutely want the full version, buy Shadows of the Serpent Riders, which sells in retail and appears as a gray book with a skull as its cover art. You can't mistake it for any shareware releases.

Remember that the original Heretic was a mail order only deal which cannot be found retail. Doom did the same thing. Both games had retail shareware releases.

Any version can be played in DOSBox, but most people use a source port. There's Chocolate-Heretic for this.

The later CD you mention sounds like H!Zone, which does not include Heretic.

apsosig.png
long live PCem