VOGONS

First post, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, there seems to be a bug where occasionally a key will get stuck during gameplay of Crusader. It is usually the right arrow key which send you spinning around. When this happens all the other keys are non-responsive. Is this something to do with DOSBox or the actual game? I dont seem to recall it ever happening on my old computer.

Reply 1 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I fixed this a few days ago.
probably cvs at sourceforge is still lagged a bit.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 20, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, still seems to be doing it, even with the 0.61 release of DOSBox. It mentions the same symptoms in the Crusader readme and they say it's something to do with a programmable keyboard (which I dont have).

Reply 3 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well inside dosbox you might have 😉

Btw what cycles are you playing it ?
Is your pc maxed out then ?

Reply 4 of 20, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm playing it at 13500 cycles with a frameskip of 3 (DOSBox's frameskip not the in-game one). My CPU is an Athlon XP 3000+ running at the standard 2.167Ghz. It runs pretty sweet using the "normal" core and "surface" output. Everything is smooth apart from the movies. They are all choppy and the sound stutters, but who cares about them 😁
I'm using the mouse in the mean time until the keyboard issue is resolved which isnt too bad once you get used to it 😜

Reply 5 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've never been able to play it at those high speeds 😀 So no way I can reproduce the "errors" I hope it got better though. (since it was first playable in the cvs)
I noticed that pressing esc fixes the key stuck (discoverred that when I though I fixed the keystuck problem(

Reply 6 of 20, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately that's not the case here. Escape key doesnt have any effect. I ran the debug and noticed the following errors when the keyboard craps out:

-1227121953: KEYBOARD:Unhandled SDL keysym 19
-1227121953: KEYBOARD:Unhandled SDL keysym 19
-1227121953: KEYBOARD:Unhandled SDL keysym 317

Reply 7 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well those are the input error for dosbox.
So dosbox doesn't know which key you pressed....

Do you have an american keyboard layout ?
(dosbox can only (properly) handle that one.)

Reply 9 of 20, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard. I'm sure the keyboard layout is US standard. I always choose that due to compatibility reasons. I never use scroll lock, caps lock or num lock during Crusader so I dont see how they could be a part of the issue. I just replaced my keyboard with a more generic one... Totally no frills 😁, still has the same results tho. I'll keep ya posted if I make any progress.

Reply 11 of 20, by Wild_Qwerty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to remeber having this problem many years ago in DOS 6.22 on my pentium 75 (or was my Pentium 133). I just used to tap the arrow key that appeared to be stuck down. The key itself wasnt stuck, but it used to break the spining around cycle. I think its just a Crusader thing rather than DOS box

Reply 12 of 20, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dont think that is correct... The keyboard becomes completely unresponsive, tapping the keys makes no difference. I played crusader back in the the good old days of DOS also and never had this issue.

Reply 13 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well we can look at it in the near future as the cvs is capable of playing crusader again.

Reply 14 of 20, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That would be awesome Qbix... At the moment the current CVS doesnt have correct aspect ratio for both the crusaders (as of 13/10/04). I tried changing aspect ratio to "true" in the config and setting the fixed width and height but that didnt seem to make much of a difference. It appears as if the screen is twice as large as it should be.

Reply 15 of 20, by CDN-Striker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The same problem with the keyboard becoming unresponsive, but the mouse still working just occured for me. It happened shortly after I pressed F1 for the ingame help. I forgot to write down the exact error msg, it was something along the lines of "SDL spin lock failure." If the error occurs again, I will post it here.

p.s. I just found dosBox today, and I have to say, THANK YOU, to the guys that wrote this! I have been looking for something like this forever to be able to go back and play the games I bought when i was a kid! You guys rock.

Reply 16 of 20, by CDN-Striker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have upgraded to a new PC (very similar specs to mr_zen's) and continue to have the keyboard problem he mentions. after 5-10 minutes of playing the keyboard becomes completly unresponsive (The mouse however, continues to work). No errors are (such as the SDL keyboard ones) are being spewed to the console

Reply 18 of 20, by Warhippo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same sticky keys prob under Remorse - so do a few guys over at the DOSGAMES.COM forum. All I can do is shut the game down and start again. The clock cycles doesn't seem to have any effect as I've had them high and low and still get the prob. I have a standard keyboard and it's running on UK English.....

DOSbox is awesome though. Nice piece of coding - well done good sirs!