VOGONS

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just found out about the Tandy sound/graphics options in the Sega US Gold ports of the late 1980s. Now, when I run AfterBurner II and choose Tandy (with Tandy selected in DOSBox) then it works fine, with full 3 channel music or sound effect samples (if you turn them on in-game). However I'm struggling with Outrun...

I have an original Kixx (US Gold budget range) 3.5" floppy disc of Outrun, which includes the .snd files, which the Tandy version plays (the DAC sound effects I believe), however if I choose to run DOSBox (with Tandy selected) then when I start Outrun (using the only option that works for me: option 3, EGA) then I hear the Tandy sound effects/music, and can even "play" the game, but the graphics don't appear at all (i.e. I'm left looking at the options 1-4 screen).

I then downloaded an abandonware version, to see if my budget re-release was missing any files (as it mentions the second 5.25" disc having Tandy files in some places). It turns out the abandonware version has several .exe files for the game, whereas mine only has outrun.exe. However they too made no difference. The abandonware version I found was also missing the .snd audio files.

Even combining the abandonware version with my original I still can't get to SEE anything of the Tandy version visually, just hear the sound effects!

So, yeah, has anyone got any version of Outrun to work in DOSBox with Tandy sounds and visuals, and if so, what's your conf file look like (if it relies on something special?). Or, what does your copy of Outrun consist of, files-in-its-folder-wise?

Cheers all!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 17, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're right it doesn't work. I just get dumped right back at the command line after selecting "2" from the menu. It's strange because some years ago I also tested a bunch of Tandy games, including Outrun, in order to hear the music that I'd missed out on by owning a PC, and everything ran/played as expected.

My copy of Outrun was taken from the original 360kb diskettes that I used to own. (I wrote a hack to remove the copy protection)

Edit: aha, I got it to work. I used the 'reset options' option to clear my configuration, which was probably messed up somehow. It runs great now. (I had forgotten about the spoken intro.)

when I start Outrun (using the only option that works for me: option 3, EGA) then I hear the Tandy sound effects/music,

Here's your problem. Why are you selecting "3" instead of "2"?

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 2 of 17, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Options 1, 2 and 4 never do anything, only 3 starts the game audio in Tandy mode. I'll have another play later on. Does your copy have multiple .exe files or just one?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 17, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has just one .exe file. Options 1/2/3 all work for me. I'm testing Hercules (4) now but it doesn't seem to work.

The graphic files all come in pairs, one .PES and one PCS, presumably for EGA (inc. Tandy) and CGA. I'm guessing there were originally a third set of files (.PHS) for Hercules, but they're missing from my copy. They were probably left out due to lack of space on the disks (The combined game files come to about 600kb. Adding a third set of graphic files would probably have taken the total size over the 720 kb limit for floppy disk releases.)

Edit: Moby has a picture of the original box cover: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/outrun/cove … CoverId,275105/. Unfortunately the watermark covers the system requirements, but you just make out most of the text:

Out Run IBM 5.25" IBM PC & Compatibles Tandy 1000/3000 Family 512K Supports MCGA/VGA/EGA/CGA/Tandy Dos 2.0 or [equivalent?] req […]
Show full quote

Out Run IBM 5.25"
IBM PC & Compatibles
Tandy 1000/3000
Family 512K
Supports MCGA/VGA/EGA/CGA/Tandy
Dos 2.0 or [equivalent?] required

So there was never Hercules support, at least not in the 5.25" release.

What was the Family 512k? A PC clone?

Reply 4 of 17, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Googling this Hercules problem brought me right back to this forum: is there Hercules support in DOSBox?

OutRun also works fine with hercules graphics, but as with TD2 you may be trying to run the EGA/VGA executable because you have an incomplete copy. There should be an OUTRUN.EXE launcher program and OUTCGA.EXE, OUTTDY.EXE, and OUTEGA.EXE executable files. However, there is one version of OutRun that has broken hercules support due to an oversight in the launcher program where it doesn't pass the "herc" parameter to the launched executable. If you have an OUTRUN.EXE file that is larger than 1024 bytes and CHEVY.PES (CGA and Hercules), BEETLE.PES (Tandy), and CORV.PES (EGA/VGA) executable files, then you have the version with broken hercules support. As a workaround you can copy CHEVY.PES to CHEVY.EXE and run the game with the command "chevy herc".

So there IS Hercules support, but it was glitched on the release I had. And those three .PES files are actually disguised executables (magic bytes MZ), not graphic files. And the .PCS files also contain the Hercules video, which is just modified CGA, so there were no files missing after all.

I finally got Hercules mode to run using this workaround

Reply 5 of 17, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
2fort5r wrote:

(I had forgotten about the spoken intro.)

If I remember it correctly, there are two different versions of the spoken intro. One with a male voice and another one with a female voice.

Reply 7 of 17, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An abandonware version I found has all those executables, but still doesn't do much if you select Tandy. I tried it on DOSBox Daum, but could try original 0.74 perhaps. To the guys who got it running, what's your DOSBox conf file got in it?

Reply 8 of 17, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just default settings + 'tandy' option. I was having problems as well until I reset settings to default, and also disabled running the autoexec.bat file which was loading junk I didn't need into memory. This was with plain vanilla 0.74.

I assume that these files are identical

OUTCGA.EXE = CHEVY.PES (AA24AE70)
OUTTDY.EXE = BEETLE.PES (E5068F00)
OUTEGA.EXE = CORV.PES (6472D349)

CRC-32 values in brackets. The original files were disguised because the copy protection routine was activated by the launcher/menu program, and if folks knew about these executables they could bypass it and run copies of the game without the original floppies.

The CGA executable takes a 'herc' argument for Hercules mode.

Reply 9 of 17, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I tried abandonware versions from several locations, and yes, the Tandy mode is selectable in some of them! I think my original Kixx budget copy has some files shaved out of it (as you reckoned), to fit on the floppy disk. In fact the instructions mention the 2 disc 5.25" version, saying that disk 1 has the EGA/Tandy files and disk 2 has CGA and Hercules.

I'll try to work out exactly what's missing from my version, perhaps, as when I run it (with DOSBox as Tandy) options 1-4 do nothing apart from EGA where I hear the Tandy sound, so there's something messed up somewhere!

Reply 10 of 17, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, I've got all versions working now. I can't say where I got the abandonware version from (which works with Tandy, etc), but if you search for the game with a file size of 392.69 you might find it too!

edit: just tested some more, it just comes down to the outrun.exe file on the Kixx budget version being bad. Replace it with the one from the specific abandonware version (as many abandonware versions are broken or ripped from the 5.25" version with missing files) and bingo, CGA, Tandy, Hercules (okay you need to rename the file mentioned above then do a command line with "herc" to get the full black&white Hercules effect).

Reply 12 of 17, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok just taking this further, as I see other games support Tandy. I was playing with Indy500 and the Tandy sound is much better, but the graphics far worse. Is there any way to run Tandy sound but not Tandy graphics? I tried setting graphics to the standard S3, and seeing Tandy sound to "on", and even setting Soundblaster to "none", but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Reply 13 of 17, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yes, Tandy didn't support VGA graphics, which would have been a problem. I don't think that's possible unless the game was written to support it. Was it common for Tandy owners to have VGA cards in their machines? If this was a common configuration then some games might have supported it.

Reply 14 of 17, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/origi … 89466627-00.jpg
http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/origi … 02869421-00.jpg

It was not rare for Tandy 1000 series owners to have upgraded their built-in video with a VGA card. Support for this exists in the 1986 SX and EX machines and every model released thereafter.

Indy 500 can be run with a VGA card and Tandy sound by using the proper command line switches. Many games released during the late 1980 and early 1990s allowed for this, but not all. Outrun can also be run with an EGA or VGA card installed in a real Tandy, but you only get 16-color graphics. If the game runs too slowly in 16-color Tandy mode, you could try CGA (will have to check on Hercules). The version I have requires you to select your graphics adapter from a menu when you start the game each time.

ripsaw8080 wrote:

OutRun also works fine with hercules graphics, but as with TD2 you may be trying to run the EGA/VGA executable because you have an incomplete copy. There should be an OUTRUN.EXE launcher program and OUTCGA.EXE, OUTTDY.EXE, and OUTEGA.EXE executable files. However, there is one version of OutRun that has broken hercules support due to an oversight in the launcher program where it doesn't pass the "herc" parameter to the launched executable. If you have an OUTRUN.EXE file that is larger than 1024 bytes and CHEVY.PES (CGA and Hercules), BEETLE.PES (Tandy), and CORV.PES (EGA/VGA) executable files, then you have the version with broken hercules support. As a workaround you can copy CHEVY.PES to CHEVY.EXE and run the game with the command "chevy herc".

One version of the game does not support Tandy 3-Voice music or sound effects or the Tandy DAC at all, just the PC Speaker.

Do not use the Daum or DOSBox-X branches for Tandy DAC support, its never worked. Use a clean SVN build instead.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 15 of 17, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, wish I would have found this thread earlier, that would have saved me the time.
Searched here, but apparently not good enough 😉

TLDR:
Download .zip file and copy OUTRUN.COM into your game folder
Press 4. to play in hercules mode.

ORG		0x100

START:
mov sp,300h
mov bx,30h
mov ah,4Ah
int 21h

mov ax,2
int 10h

mov dx,MENU
mov ah,9
int 21h

xor dx,dx
KEY:
xor ax,ax
int 16h
ESC:
cmp al,1Bh
je EXIT
@1:
cmp al,'1'
jne @2
mov dx,CGA
@2:
cmp al,'2'
jne @3
mov dx,TAN
@3:
cmp al,'3'
jne @4
mov dx,EGA
@4:
cmp al,'4'
jne CHECK
mov dx,CGA
mov word [PARAMS+02],HERC
CHECK:
cmp dx,0
je KEY
RUN:
mov bx,PARAMS
mov [bx+04],cs
mov [bx+08],cs
mov [bx+12],cs
mov ax,4B00h
int 21h
EXIT:
push 00
ret

MENU db ' OUT RUN',13,10
db ' -------',13,10,10,10
db ' 1. CGA/TANDY (4 COLOUR)',13,10,10
db ' 2. TANDY (16 COLOUR)',13,10,10
db ' 3. EGA/VGA (16 COLOUR)',13,10,10
db ' 4. HERCULES',13,10,10,10,10
db 'Press 1,2,3 or 4 to play OUTRUN or ESC to return to DOS',13,10,'$'
Show last 7 lines
CGA	db	'CHEVY.PES',0
TAN db 'BEETLE.PES',0
EGA db 'CORV.PES',0
HERC db 5,' herc',13
PARAMS dw 0
dd 80h,5Ch,6Ch

Attachments

Reply 16 of 17, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(Yes, I am aware this is an old thread.)

@2fort5r : As far as I know *.phs files specifically for Hercules graphics wouldn't be a thing because CGA and Hercules despite their outward appearance are apparently similar enough in their internal workings that any games I know of use their CGA data for Hercules as well.

Also, if anyone insists on running a game in Hercules mode, you must either be using an actual Hercules graphics card or emulate one because CGA/EGA/VGA aren't compatible with Hercules.

PS:
My copy of Outrun runs fine when emulating Tandy. And, I never knew Tandy games supported FM sound. 😀 This has me wondering which other games use it too.

EDIT:
Of all the games I tried these will have better sound when using Tandy emulation:
Ducktales
King's Quest I (AGI)
King's Quest II (AGI)
King's Quest III (AGI)
King's Quest IV (AGI)
Leisure Suit Larry I (AGI)
Low Blow
Outrun
Police Quest I (AGI)
Space Quest I (AGI)
Space Quest II (AGI)
The Black Cauldron (AGI)

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 17 of 17, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2fort5r wrote on 2014-09-11, 19:59:

Oh yes, Tandy didn't support VGA graphics, which would have been a problem. I don't think that's possible unless the game was written to support it. Was it common for Tandy owners to have VGA cards in their machines? If this was a common configuration then some games might have supported it.

Tandy 1000rlx had VGA + 3 voice right from the factory