VOGONS

First post, by Ritu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I am having trouble installing turbo C++ in Windows 7 64 bit,using dosbox. Let me tell you where the problem starts.
After downloading DOSBox ver 0.74 from Downloads link of www.dosbox.com; created a folder c:\Turbo. Extracted TC into this folder (c:\Turbo).
Ran DosBox from the icon located on desktop. Typed the command at the command prompt [Z}: mount d c:\Turbo\
After that got a message which says: "Drive D is mounted as a local directory c:\Turbo\". After that typed d: to shift to d:
then typed against D:\>tc
This time got a message Illegal command tc. Again tried giving instead a command tc.exe, again the same message comes.
I am really in a dilemma as where did I go wrong, Kindly help and suggest.

Reply 1 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two things, DOSBox questions should be asked in the DOSBox forum, not the Windows games forum and DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Moved
(Along with using the right forum, please also use the search)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 11, by Ritu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okeah I understand now,but the suggestion for dosbox was given by an author writing books on C++. Thank you for your quick and prompt response .Frankly, I am in a greater trouble now . Because I have tried many other versions of Turbo C++ versions. And all failed to install.Was banking on this DosBox, which also failed. Tell me if its within the framework of your forum to suggest secured links from where I can safely free download Turbo C++ for Windows 7 64 bit.I would ever be grateful for this kind gesture.I am preparing for exams.

Reply 4 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would recommend getting familar with DOSBox and mounting directories.

The error you posted is basically stating that the file could not be found.

If you created C:\Turbo then in DOSBox you'd need to mount C:\ (not recommended) and then go to the turbo directory.

Instead create a C:\DOSBox directory.
Put "Turbo" in this directory"
Mount c: c:\DosBox
C:
cd \turbo
tc

I don't have DOSBox in front of me so you may have to change some of the above.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 11, by Ritu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,again. Actually I tried exactly what was suggested by a good samaritan DosFreak...but unfortunataly following is what I got-
Z:\>mount c: c:\DOSBox
Drive C is mounted as local directory c:\DOSBox\
Z:\>c:
c:\>cd \turbo
unable to change to \turbo

After that tried,giving tc instead of cd \turbo , a message as illegal commmand :tc comes, then tried giving cd \turbo\tc,unable to change to \turbo message comes, what to do now?can you help please?

Reply 7 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You missed the part of actually moving the turbo folder int c:/dosbox...
(Or you did something else/worse - what does the command dir return after you changed to c: in dosbox?)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 11, by Ritu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okeah hello Dominus, let me tell you again. I tried to create a folder c:\DOSBoX, within which I tried to create C:\DOSBox\Turbo ,After downloading choose destination folder as c:\DOSBox\Turbo.Then clicked dosBox icon from desktop,and after that giving command Z:\mount c c:\DOSBox,result came as Drive C is mounted as local directory c:\DOSBox\, then gave command c:,then command prompt changd as c:\>,gave command cd \turbo,then came as c:\TURBO,gave tc command ,came as- c:\Turbo>tc Illegal command: tc. , 🙁
I Know somewhere I am going wrong,if you all can help me,regarding this,will be grateful.

Reply 9 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a file named tc in your c:\DOSBox\Turbo folder? Is tc a bat, com or exe?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 11, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Ritu,
for me, this works fine:

First, make sure you use the autoexec section in your config, so you don't have to type in anything over and over again. So it should look like this for your setup:

mount c c:\dosbox
c:

Next you have to know that the exe for Turbo C++ isn't located in '\Turbo', it is located in '\Turbo\Bin' instead.
So add this line to your autoexec section as well:

set path=%path%;C:\Turbo\Bin;

It works perfect for me. I'm using Turbo C++ 3.0
Let me know if it works 😉

Vince

Reply 11 of 11, by Ritu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all folks, was able to install Turbo C++ finally,whew...Suggestion to people( like me )would be to go to the link: http://www.windows8downloads.com/ to install Turbo C++ and as suggested by all the Samaritans here to extract it in a folder created by you say
c: \Turbo. Rest guidelines are given in the website link as given above.I am so haapppy again!!!Thank you again folks for all those guidance,otherwise it would have never struck me as to where I was going wrong.