VOGONS

Research Application ASYST DIR command

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by research_tech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to get an old scientific/research program called ASYST by Software Technologies, INC. (Macmillan Software Company) to function in a new windows 7 computer for a research technician. I used DOSBox and the program seems to run, but is having an issue with one of its commands. It uses a DIR command similar to DOS itself, but when using this command within the ASYST program it displays "0 File(s), 0 bytes used" when it should show the files in the directory. I am able to see the files in a regular DOS window using the DOS DIR command, and I am also able to see the files doing a DIR command from within DOSBox after mounting the drive (but prior to launching the ASYST program).

I have a suspicion that the ASYST program is having trouble seeing files on a mounted drive. Is there some configuration I am missing? I looked through the help files, and FAQ's but I have not found information to help in the matter. Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 5, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox targets only the functionality required for games, pure luck if other things work.

You could try installing FreeDOS in a Virtualbox session, but Virtualbox is also not guaranteed to support a DOS environment - or if it can't get along with virtualization at all, then maybe dual booting with FreeDOS - tricky but possible - http://thebug.nerdtroop.com/TheBug/Computer_S … _dual_boot.html

Reply 4 of 5, by croc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
research_tech wrote on 2014-10-29, 21:32:

I am trying to get an old scientific/research program called ASYST by Software Technologies, INC. (Macmillan Software Company) to function in a new windows 7 computer for a research technician. I used DOSBox and the program seems to run, but is having an issue with one of its commands. It uses a DIR command similar to DOS itself, but when using this command within the ASYST program it displays "0 File(s), 0 bytes used" when it should show the files in the directory. I am able to see the files in a regular DOS window using the DOS DIR command, and I am also able to see the files doing a DIR command from within DOSBox after mounting the drive (but prior to launching the ASYST program).

I have a suspicion that the ASYST program is having trouble seeing files on a mounted drive. Is there some configuration I am missing? I looked through the help files, and FAQ's but I have not found information to help in the matter. Any ideas?

I was wondering you still have the software? because I was also searching for this old software. The company doesn't exist anymore. Hope to hear a response after so long time ago you posted the message here.

Or does someone else still has this program?

Reply 5 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Closed
Open your own thread with your own issue.
Vogons does not support so called "abandonware"

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline