VOGONS

Pacific Air War Gold

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by truth_deleted

User metadata

There is not enough information on running this combat flight simulator inside dosbox, and some of the available information is unnecessarily convoluted. This is the one of the highest rated WW2 combat flight sims for DOS, sometimes referred to as a “prop sim”, so the gameplay is different from the modern jet flight sims where avionic instrumentation is a focus, or the focus, leading some to call these “avionic simulators”. And there are many choices that fit into this category in DOS, such as EF2000 which has SVGA graphics and other modern features. However, there is less choice for a realistic WW2 sim which bridges the gap between the older DOS and Windows versions within this subgenre, though Pacific Air War is at the top of the list; another option is Aces Over Europe, featuring a different “theater of operations”.

Pacific Air War Gold has all the content of Pacific Air War for DOS (PAW), but also includes the Scenario add-on pack and multimedia content which has optional features such as flight training tutorials. PAW Gold is for Windows 3.1 because the multimedia features require it and the sound utility does, too. However, dosbox supports 3.1 and so it is possible to run this utility under that OS while inside dosbox. However, once the sound is setup (and there may yet be a way to configure sound in DOS), then I’ve run PAW Gold in dosbox without 3.1, just from the regular dosbox command prompt. There are multiple executables, such as 1942.EXE, which allow the Gold version to directly run in DOS.

To enable the digital sound effects, then modify the dosbox configuration file so ems, xms, and umb are set to false; also, load JEMM memory manager (thanks ripsaw) at the dosbox command line like so: JEMMEX FRAME=E000 LOAD. The screen resolution is 320x240 with 256 colors, but I used the opengl-hq scaler to obtain satisfactory visuals while scaled to a conventional desktop resolution. The advantages of the Gold version, apart from the 3.1 specific features, are the additional planes, scenarios, and a large number of additional missions. There is also a multiplayer capability over a modem so two players can connect and play cooperatively or competitively (also available in Scenario Add-On). I haven’t tested this feature, but it presumably works inside dosbox.

Since dosbox is cross-platform, these DOS titles provide access to combat flight sims on many systems and architectures. Some categorize these into prop, jet, and helicopter sims. PAW provides the prop sim, EF2000 provides a modern jet sim, while Jane's AH-64D Longbow for DOS (the non-Gold version) places the pilot inside a combat helicopter. All these have robust campaigns/missions, good stability in DOS, a focus on realistic flight models, and a competent A.I. However, PAW is unique in its attempt to recreate a part of war history along with documentation to read and watch about that period.

Last edited by truth_deleted on 2014-12-08, 00:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by truth_deleted

User metadata

An alternative to PAW Gold is to instead install the original version of Pacific Air War + Scenario Add-On. Here is an installation procedure:
1. Inside dosbox, install original version of Pacific Air War
2. Copy Scenario Add-On floppy disk files to a directory viewable by dosbox (such as c:\scenario as shown inside dosbox)
3. Modify install.inf so gamedir= is mapped to the directory where PAW installed (such as gamedir=C:\PAW)
4. Modify dosbox configuration file; dosbox.conf: mem=16, xms=false, ems=false, umb=false
5. Run dosbox so the dosbox prompt is shown, then map the A drive to the Scenario Add-On directory (such as this: subst A c:\scenario)
6. Run MPSFIX.COM by ripsaw ("...needs 0 bytes", so won't install? (Machiavelli The Prince)); mpsfix makes the MPS installer work properly with dosbox
7. Change to A drive (type: cd A:) and then run INSTALL.EXE
8. After installation is completed, setup sounds so music is set to the SB16 or the General MIDI device, and set digital sound to SB16; test music and digital sounds, and then "Save Setup"
9. Exit the setup utility; upon exiting, the utility will copy necessary files to the PAW directory
9b. [Optional Patch] Copy files, except for DSOUND.FT, from attached archive paw15b.zip to PAW directory
10. Load the JEMM memory manager at the dosbox command line or by a line in the dosbox configuration file, like so: JEMMEX FRAME=E000 LOAD.
11. Run 1942.EXE to start PAW
12. Choose "configure" menu item inside PAW and verify that "Digital Sounds" are On

* To change sound settings in future, run INSTALL.EXE from the PAW directory.

Edit: edited this and above post with the information on the digital sound fix. The DSOUND.FT in the attached archive will disable digital sounds, so one could fallback to the non-digital sounds by also turning off "digital sounds" in the PAW in-game Configuration menu. Note that digital sounds were added in the Scenario Add-On and Gold versions only.

Attachments

• Filename
    paw15b.zip
    File size
    294.95 KiB
    Downloads
    203 downloads
    File comment
    PAW Patch for PAW+Scenario_Addon only
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by truth_deleted on 2014-12-08, 00:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Thank you, ripsaw! Your method works perfectly! In dosbox.conf, I set xms, ems, and umb to false. Then, inside dosbox I loaded JEMMEX.EXE which includes XMM, then PAW+Scenario played digital sounds (the improvement over the non-digital sounds is remarkable).

However, I had to specify a segment of memory for JEMMEX to load like so: JEMMEX.EXE LOAD I=D000-DFFF. If instead the default memory segment was loaded, then PAW+Scenario would not detect EMS, even though the INSTALL.EXE program did detect EMS. Also, loading into the VGA memory segment did disable video as expected. I am unable to verify whether D000-DFFF is a safe memory segment to load, but PAW+Scenario seemed to run without issue.

Reply 6 of 6, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi!

i have followed the instructions here and i have sound and music in the game - but still some sounds seem absent - i have plane engine sounds, but i have no gun fire or explosion sounds - am i missing something here i followed the steps above as well as the advice regarding jemmex.exe in the sound issues thread on teh steam discussion page for the game, as it is hte steam game i have

how do i get the sounds of gun fire etc into the game again?