VOGONS

Privateer with Dosbox 0.61

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Silencer131

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I get the following message when trying to run Privateer:
"protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. make sure your driver is not configured with the NOEMS option. If it is, replace the NOEMS with RAM."

Well, I know how to change that option in the config.sys of an original DOS but can that be done in Dosbox? All I found in the readme was some alternate config I could use but I didn't found the needed parameter documentation to add RAM to EMS (in case that fixes it) and "ems=true" probably only accepts true or false, I guess? The games list says dosbox 0.61 works with Privateer otherwise I would not have asked since it didn't run with earlier versions of dosbox.
So is the game still not supported or do I have to add RAM to EMS (if yes, how and where)? Or do I need that "CVS" still (whatever that is, read it here in the forums)?

By the way, I take this opportunity to say "thank you very very much!" for having created such an awesome DOS emulator. I used VDMS until I learned about Dosbox (which is a whole lot better), finally many games work at all or even better (especially with General Midi 😁). I am glad at least some people still care for DOS games/applications and do their best to keep it running on XP and Co. 😀 Keep up the good work! 😉

Operating system: XP
Game name (and version, if applicable): Privateer
Description of problem
Reproducibility of problem: always
Sound mode used: general midi for music, soundblaster for speech
Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution): default (havent selected anything)
Version of emulator: dosbox 0.61

Motherboard: AK-97 EC (VIA chipset)
CPU: AMD 1.4 GHz Athlon
Amount and type of RAM: 512 MB
Video board w/ RAM amount and type: Radeon 9600 Pro (128 MB)
Sound board: SB Live! card

Reply 4 of 26, by canukmikes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was having the same problem with the memory error, and setting it EMS to false fixed it.
But now I get a different error, almost as soon as the program starts.
Dosbox crashes with error D002-FFFF, and in the console window I see "Exit to error: Pagefault didn't correct table"

I've tried setting all the sound emulation settings to false, but it hasn't fixed anything. And if it matters, I'm using an HP Laptop.

Operating System: XP Home
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 1.6 Ghz
Sound Card: Avance AC97 Audio
Video Card: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500C

Thanks for your help.

Reply 5 of 26, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well the problem is with privateer thinking that if ems is loaded that he doesn't have control over the machine and then wants vcpi support, which we don't have and don't think ever will. But just disabling ems fixes it for most of thr troublesome extenders since they can just use full system contol then.

Reply 8 of 26, by whizzzkid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get exactly the same "Pagefault didn't correct table" message after disabling ems. My machine's a Samsung Notebook, conf below. Shortly before crashing the console shows a crooked bunch of chaotic colors in the upper third. 😖

Operating System: XP Home
CPU: Intel Centrino 1,4 GHz
Sound Card: Crystal WDM Audio
Video Card: nVidia gForce 4 440 Go 64M

Reply 9 of 26, by AlzBrain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Same here. 😢

Fatal Error. 

Error Code: D002-FFFF
Program halted by code.

Then DosBox 6.1 crashes back to command line.

Linux Kernel: 2.6.1
Windows version: XP Professional Sp1
Sound card: Intel 820
Video Card: GeForce FX 5200

Ah and thanks for this great program! 😊 😁

Alz

Reply 12 of 26, by taiken7

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For you Nomad, I recommend a front-end such as boxer
http://www.pcgamester.co.uk/boxer_releases/boxer_1.0.zip
(WinXX based front end gui, config changer).

Alternatively you could try edit the config file, (dosbox.conf in dosbox directory) using notepad and change ems=true to ems=false (bottom of the file).

Reply 13 of 26, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
taiken7 wrote:

For you Nomad, I recommend a front-end such as boxer
http://www.pcgamester.co.uk/boxer_releases/boxer_1.0.zip

Actually, there's a newer version out:
http://www.pcgamester.co.uk/boxer_releases/boxer_0.61.4.zip

For future releases, keep an eye on:
http://www.pcgamester.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 26, by do_not_land

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my Athlon XP 2400+, setting CPU cycles to 7500 strikes the right balance between playability and non-stuttery sound. Any higher you lose sound quality, any lower you get too low FPS in space.

Joystick and mouse don't work, but just playing it with it set to Keyboard (Options from Main Menu) works fine.

Reply 17 of 26, by Alastes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, i'm sort of a big newbie to all of this stuff. In other words, I have no idea how to do it. I downloaded DOSBox in hopes of playing Privateer. I get the same EMS error and stuff, but I don't know how to fix it? How do I set the ems = false or whatever? I honestly have no idea how to change the settings and what not. Could someone please help?

Reply 19 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Alastes, search the DOSBox forums for some very recent DOSBox configuration frontends especially for beginners. Search for "Boxer" and "DBFrontEnd".
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions