VOGONS

First post, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some time ago I was assisted with compiling a DosBox MB6 version for Ubuntu that allowed me to print from dBase 5.
I am still using this version, but I would like to find out whether it is possible to port this Linux version to Windows, as it runs dBase 5 very well indeed, or modify another MB6 version so that it will do the same under Windows.
At present I am still running a machine with Windows XP and it is the lack of Dos and thus the ability to run dBase that is holding me back from going to a later version of Windows.
Any help and or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Paul.

Reply 1 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So MB6 for Windows does not print from dbase?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 2, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Dominus, No it does not. You can do a directory list from the dos prompt that will either show up as a print file or (in my case - I have a printer connected to the parallel port) go directly to lpt1 and print depending on how you set the parallel port settings in DosBox.conf. But once dBase 5 loads it locks up when "set print on" is invoked or comes up with an error. I sort of remember that I was told that dBase 5 - and previous versions - need special access, but the changes I needed to make for Linux (Ubuntu) to get it all to run were provided to me; I merely followed instructions and compiled the result. I still have all the Linux files and can send these in a zip file as an email attachment. There is a version about called "DosBox Text Distribution" that does print from dBase, but it has a number of issues with the interface. Paul.