The Settlers 2 - Gold Edition

Topic actions

First post, by Jarvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

maybe one of you can help me:

The game starts, sound is playing, a bit jumpy, but playing, I can click through the options etc, but whenever I want to play a map (doesn't matter which map, since this was a problem of another guy before), it crashes with this error message:
"INI: Gate Selector points to illegal descriptor with type 0"

if you have any solutions, please help

my configuration:
DosBox 0.61, CPU Usage ~ 95% @ ~2500 CPU Cycles , tried it without sound and all resolutions
AMD Duron 700
512 MB RAM
GeForce 2 MX 200
Creative Soundblaster Live
Windows 2000

thanks for your help

Jarvid

Last edited by Jarvid on 2004-02-09, 12:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 34, by Scorpion666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,
i still have the Settler 2 Gold CD from all those years ago.
i installed it just to give it a try in DOSBox .61 as it says it can run it!
but ya i get the same problem it just runnings very slow.....

if anyone finds away around this,plz let us know.
as i think that this is the best Settlers game in the Settlers series!

Thx to DosBox we can still play old game,but who would of thought that with the power of our PC's today & the new games we have, that we'd want to play old games.....Keep up the great work...DOSBox rocks!!

Scorpion

Reply 5 of 34, by Scorpion666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i messed around with Settlers 2 gold in DosBox .61 lasty night and i finally got it to work perfect with music and sound.

you need the run the game in 800x600 rez.any higher it wont work!!!

in the dosbox config.... turn ems off
frameskip=5
cpu cycles=10000

if you have a geforce card or any 3D card..
change the detail setting from SURFACE to OPENGL
(cant remember the right name cos me not at my home pc..sorry)

Thats it...this may only workin on my manchine..but just thought i would let ye know..it may work for ye too!!

happy gaming,
Scorpion

Reply 11 of 34, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

that isn't the resolution of the game.
that is resolution dosbox will use when you go to fullscreen. dosbox will put black borders around it.
Before you ask why. it has to do with lcd tft monitors which don't support lowres videomodes very well

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 34, by Commander_keen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

now that's weired, dosbox is told to run with 1024*768 but cannot run a game in this resolution...
May I ask, is there a reason for that? (and is it planned to support 1024*768?) I guess I'm extremely blind and/or stupid, but I thought most "easy" vesa modes are supported...is there any place where I can read more about which vesa modes dosbox supports and which not? I can't find useful information on that with the forum's search...

Reply 15 of 34, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VESA support is still maturing in DOSBox. I belive there is currently only support for 640x480 modes.

The resolution DOSBox runs in is completely independent from the resolution an emulated game thinks it's running at, just like with any other emulator out there. The reasons include being able to:
- stretch to a higher resolution to make the aspect ratio look correct without making things look too ugly,
- run on monitors that do not support low resolutions well (as QBix mentioned), and
- apply filtering effects to make the graphics look nicer

Reply 18 of 34, by Commander_keen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

eeer, no? o_0
I have a 2400+ "only" and it runs pretty fine.
my default settings are dynamic core and frameskip 1
I can increase cycles to over 20.000 where I experience no difference in gameplay if I increase it even more as it runs fluently even below
CPU load is at 60-65% @ 20.000 cycles
(running Win2k)

Reply 19 of 34, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You still don't seem to get that there are _two_ different resolutions: one is what the game _thinks_ it is running at, and the other one is what dosbox is actually outputting at.

The emulated VGA card, the one your game "sees", is limited to 800x600 right now. If you play Settlers at 800x600 (*in game*), you will notice that it's incredibly slow and sluggish. Even when the game runs at 640x480, it's not terribly playable.

But all this has nothing to do with which size the dosbox window is: If you tell dosbox to use an output window of 1024x768 (via hwscale= or fullfixed= or scaler= or similar), the game still runs at 640x480. Dosbox enlarges the 640x480 screen so that it fills a 1024x768 window, and that's pretty fast. You can easily get high resolutions that way. But it has absolutely nothing to do with what resolution the game uses.

The essential difference is: The emulated VGA card is SLOW. Really slow. This is simply because it's emulated. It has always been slow, but no one notices that, because at typical game resolutions like 320x200 or 640x480, it's not that bad. Unfortunately, with 640x480, some games already get sluggish. Now, if you double the internal, emulated resolution, your game gets 4 times slower! No box available today is fast enough for that.