VOGONS

The Settlers 2 - Gold Edition

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by Commander_keen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I understood that after I was told that the resolution in the dosbox.conf ist just a fake and stretching a.s.o.
But as you said if I tell the game to run at 800*600 it will run at 800*600, no matter which size I set dosbox to use as output size.
So I did that, I set it to 800*600 in settlers II options. And all dosbox-settings concerning graphics back to the default ones. So I'm running this game at 800*600 now, don't I? If I still don't get the point, thanks for your patience.

If I do I can only repeat myself by saying: it runs fine (except some crashes where dosbox is closed completely). It only stutters if the auto-lock feature is disabled and it runs better if I put it to fullscreen (I guess because the priority is higher then as there are several other aplications running)

Reply 21 of 34, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're telling the game to run at 800x600 and it works, then the game should be generating an 800x600 display. Of course you'll want to run DOSBox at at least 800x600 so that it doesn't compress the pixels into a blurry lower-resolution image.

Reply 22 of 34, by Freak19

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm noob in using DosBox and I tried to play settler 2 Gold Edition. The start screen starts, also the menu where I can choose World campaign, campaign and so on, but then my mouse moves to the edge down left and doesn't react if I move her.

Thanks for help, and please pardon my bad english.

Reply 23 of 34, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A very strange problem, indeed. In order to help you, I need some more details. Please answer these questions:
1. Which DosBox version do you use?
2. How did you install Settlers 2?
3. What are your core and cycles settings?
4. Did you apply any patches?
5. Which OS do you use?
6. Can you move the mouse cursor before it moves to the corner of the screen?

Reply 25 of 34, by Freak19

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

bugs_bugger:
I have version 0.71
I installed settler2 long ago for windows 98 and copied the files on my extern hdd, then I copied this files.
CPU Cycles 3000 Frameskip 0 how to find out my core setting?
I dld the DosBox for Linux two weaks ago and aptitude checks whether there are new versions, so I think I have all patches.
I'm using Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon and I can move the mouse coursor on the screen at the begin but not in the menu.

The same set of files worked with the DosBox on Windows Vista.
And I don't have a joystick.

Hopefully you can help me. Thanks for it

Reply 27 of 34, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most likely its a bug in DosBox. I think I can remember some problems with Settlers using DosBox 0.71. You will have to upgrade to 0.72 which is the current version.

Reply 29 of 34, by Paragonx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I have a little problem with Settlers 2 (both - standard and gold edition) and ALT-Tabbing. Whenever I want to switch to some other program, while playing S2, I get this debugging error after a few seconds:

s2gdboxp1.jpg

I know I'm nitpicking here and I could just play S2 without alt-tabbing, but it's great fun playing S2 in the background while burning DVDs, cleaning your hard drive, writing essays for school, etc 😁 .
I use dosbox 0.72 and other games don't have problems with alt-tabbing. Can I fix this somehow?

Reply 30 of 34, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you list the other games that don't have problems?

They probably don't switch to dynamic core which may be why they don't crash.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 31 of 34, by Paragonx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I have a bunch of them, since I like old-school DOS games 😎 . All of these work OK:
-Keen 1-6
-Aladdin
-Duke2
-Hocus Pocus
-Lotus3
-Micro machines 2
-Monkey island 1&2
-Stunts
-Mad TV

By the way, my system is: win Vista ultimate 32bit, Athlon XP 2600+, 1,5gb RAM, geForce 7600gt. Here is what Dosbox shows in the back in the status window when the problem occurs, it's one or the other:

s2gdboxp2.jpg

Reply 34 of 34, by kamolot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello - It's pretty old topic but i can't fix the illegal read error i have with Settlers 2 gold. The error occurs when i'm in a long play after about 3-4 hours of play. Loading the game again makes it crash almost instantly.
It also gives dos4gw error (screen) Is there any fix for this?

s2g.jpg
Filename
s2g.jpg
File size
174.54 KiB
Views
File comment
crash
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s2g1.jpg
Filename
s2g1.jpg
File size
169.21 KiB
Views
File comment
dos4gw
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

edit:

Looks like a game error - Just started this on vm machine with win98se installed - the same thing happened 😒