VOGONS

Crusader: No Remorse

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by SSissi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now Im starting to cry dammit... My dad won't buy a new comp anyway or anyhow. Dammit! Thanks for your help, thought! Now I'll go some corner and cry for my lost childhood because of my dad who won't buy a new comp... :'(

Reply 23 of 30, by taiken7

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm.. have you first mounted the CD under linux?
I haven't tried dosbox under linux yet, but I think it may be
that it requires the cd to be mounted first; try

<Linux shell prompt>
mount /mnt/cdrom
dosbox
mount j: /mnt/cdrom -t cdrom

Reply 24 of 30, by Silencer131

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix is right, Crusader as well as many other games were developed by Origin. Those games were payed with hardware, not with money as some people said (and they are right). 😉 You really need a lot of GHz to get this working smooth with an emulator such as dosbox. As the authors of dosbox said the cpu emulates it all (sound, graphic and such) so you need quite a fast computer. Turning off the music in the setup/install might speed it up but that probably won't fully do (or install a real DOS and play it without an emulator). 😉

By the way, you don't really need to post your cycles here since it differs for everyone, I think. 😒

Reply 25 of 30, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Silencer, you are certainly right about the hardware requirements for Origin games. I have a couple of them sitting here, and they are a real bitch to get working. In my experience, DOSBox 0.61 on my Athlon 2600+ is still too slow to run "Wing Commander III" (videos lack behind the sound track, sound stops, video cathes up, sound races ahead, etc, etc).

I haven't really tried "Privateer 2: The Darkening" (P2) with DOSBox, since I had partial success with both WC3 and P2 in VDMSound/WinXP.

"Wing Commander Privateer" (P1) has so far proven itself a no-go with VDMSound/WinXP. Seems the problem is the EMM-manager (JEMM.OVL) used by P1. According to what I read, it is a really strange piece of software, that do not play well with anything but the real hardware.

But that is all part of the challenge and fun! If it was just a matter of playing the game, I would just by a real Sound Blaster card, and boot up DOS!
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 26 of 30, by Silencer131

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dont want to go off topic but I want to say this so far:
For Privateer under XP there is a tool named "myjemm" which allows you to play the game quite fast under Windows. However, the tool is not well developed (and its development seems to be slow) when I last checked it, you probably have to play without sound or so but at least it is fast (I can't play without sound, just too important to me 😉 ).

About WC III... well, I remember I played this game the first time when I still had a 486 DX2 (66 Mhz) and everytime a mission was loading I read some magazine and imagined that the launch preparation is done in real time (it took 5-8 min to just load the mission) so I had even some roleplay. 😉 The game was fast enough to play it though I think I had to turn off a few details but loading took forever and all in all, a faster machine would have done a better job (as my Pentium 166 Mhz did indeed).
Isnt there a Windows patch out for WC 3? I think there was only for part IV but I am not sure.

You could also install a real DOS environment if you have the device drivers at hand, for games such as WC III that would be best, I think. 😉 I still have Windows 98 installed as a 2nd OS beside XP since WC III and some other games work in that environment in a dosbox (my Soundblaster card installs some kind of DOS device drivers as well). Otherwise we all have to wait till faster machines are available for a good price. 😜

I guess Crusader might play fine with a... hm... maybe 4 or 5 Ghz cpu? 😜

Reply 27 of 30, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I do not want to stray off topic either, so let me close with this:

After starting to play around with DOSBox and VDMSound for the last month or so, what I really miss is a comprehensive database of how to install and configure these games for the best playing experience.

So I have set out on a quest of making such a database. At the bottom will be a MySQL database, an Apache web server, and then piles, and piles of PHP-enabled web pages and the odd Perl script.

I want to record every relevant detail of the game (name, version, year of release, standard, compilation, or deluxe version, programming house, publisher, ...). This information is then to be matched again run time environments (DOS, Windows, Linux kernel), emulators (Bochs, DOSBox version, VDMSound, GlideOS), and finally attached to installation how-to's, configuration how-to's, and perhaps downloadable configuration files for DOSBox, VDMSound + LaunchPad settings, etc).

I am going to concentrate on the database first. Using the dozen or so games I own, I hope to be able to capture a good set of variables and map them to appropriate tables in the database. Next will be a web-based search and report facility. Once the database structure has proven itself, I plan to add a simple web based update facility, allowing for a small group of testers to populate the database.

In all likelyhood, this will reveal shortcomings in the database and the variables needed to describe each game setup, so it will have to be revised => changes to search/report => changes to update facility.

When the changes have stabilised, and a nice interface is ready, I will annouce the database to the unexpecting world of VOGONS.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 28 of 30, by CheshireKatt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I've gotten both Crusader: No Remorse and Crusader: No Regret running QUITE nicely, though I can't claim to have a standard system. 3 gig, hyperthreading, 833mhz fsb. With the default dosbox.conf, all I did was set the ems / xms / memsize settings Qbix recommended in another post, set Frameskip to 3 (makes the movies sync with the voice better), copied the CDs to my hard drive (mostly so I don't have to wait for them to spin up), and then set my cycles to around 20,000. Runs pretty much exactly like I remember it, except that Dosbox doesn't seem to notify Crusader that I've hit the NumLock key (which is used to determine which config type the numpad uses).

So yeah, while that's not exactly a standard system, I just thought I'd mention that it CAN be done with 0.61. 😀

Reply 29 of 30, by iSteve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes, I of course mounted the cdrom in linux .... /dev/cdrom (symlink do /dev/hdd) => /mnt/cdrom ... and I did mount it in dosbox, too ... in fact I set it in conf to mount /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrw after start

Reply 30 of 30, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MiniMax wrote:

After starting to play around with DOSBox and VDMSound for the last month or so, what I really miss is a comprehensive database of how to install and configure these games for the best playing experience.

Vlad of VDMSound actually has a database like this. It used to be hosted on zetafleet.com, and before that, SourceForge. I'm not sure what the delay is in putting it back up.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto