VOGONS

First post, by derfGW&/))est32p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi i would have a Sierra game Freddy Pharkas on CD. I would run and play it enough well (whit music, audio and voice speech ). But here born the my problem heh. I would wish to run it with music, audio, voice and text too together). I have read somewhere in internet this ' set text = on ' but without know better about it. Then i would want to know if there is an option: i did open the RESOURCE.CFG in the my Freddy Pharkas main directory and add in it that line i have mentioned above ' set text = on ' launched the game but without succeess. I did set in INSTALL.EXE (this allways in the FPFPCD [my Freddy Pharkas main directory] - Roland MT-32
as music and Sound Blaster as sound . It run pretty well with music, sound and voice speech BUT WITHOUT TEXT together as i'd want. I did download then DOSBox-0.61 and run Freddy Pharkas with it but after i did
mount all my device drivers within my cdrom device, when i go to run it
typing so [in my dosbox] d:\Sierra\FPFPCD it don't run well the sound - the music good then when the person is start to speech the game seem does it block i must click to skip the dialogue speech person to i can continue. How can i set my sound.cfg drivers to be compatible with Roland MT-32 [allways running Freddy Pharkas trough this dosbox]to run my game well as like when i run the game without the DOSBox-0.61 and it play normally [except the text naturally]? Is there a command i would have to type (allways in DOSBox-0.61) to run this game Freddy Pharkas with all things working fine ? I mean with music, sound voice speech and text too ?or a line like ' set text = on ' i could insert in the my RESOURCE.CFG to succeed to make my Freddy Pharkas CD working fine with text and all ?(Through DOSBox-0.61 or VDMSound or without any program ?

I hope at the earliest will be there someone of you will get already understood the my quest point and will can get me the his better reply to solve this my quest.. 😒 ° . ° 😖

Bye to all

Sonny Bonds

Reply 2 of 8, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, that is a bit hard to follow, but my Freddy Farkas runs on Windows. I think it came with both DOS and Windows, so I just run windows which works fine. Perhaps you should check and see if a Windows version came with your game. It could be the simplest solution.

Reply 3 of 8, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. The CD version of Freddy Pharkas doesn't allow you to hear the actor voices and read the text subtitles at the same time 🙁

You have to choose between text and audio, but never both 😢

Why? Why did they do that? I enjoy the voices a lot, but sometimes I don't understand what they are saying. Text subtitles are a must for me.

Now I'm torn by the solomonic choice of either voice or text. Aaargh!

We, non-English natives, don't deserve such treatment. There must be a law written somewhere prohibiting this. It's a cruel and unusual punishment 🙁

Could the game be patched somehow to enable subtitles and voices simultaneously?

Anyone? Please!

Pretty please!

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not only English speakers. I'm American but I like to read ALOT. I turn on subtitles on DVD and games whenever possible since sometimes it's possible to miss certain words due to messed up audio or the accent of a person. heh. Whenever I visit my parents it bugs the hell out of 'em for some reason......guess they can't read that fast..... 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this. Should we form a united front and start begging and/or pestering the developers at FreeSCI ?

Perhaps they can find a way to have subtitles and voices simultaneously!

Or should we wait until they start implementing SCI 1.1 ?

Regards.

Reply 6 of 8, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FreeSCI is understaffed, always was. You can try pestering them or you can just offer your help. They have a lot of tech info that did not make it to code yet. Oh, and didn't they just reported the first completable SCI1 game?
In some games, enabling subtitles may add extra comic effect. I think it was Discworld that had a few funny discrepancies between subtitles and spoken dialogue. Probably, Sam&Max as well.

Reply 8 of 8, by Simplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having exactly same problem with freddy pharkas CD version. Has anyone found a solution yet? (I have just written to Al Lowe, maybe he can help 😀 )

Or perhaps a guy who made an WinXP installer for Gabriel Knight CD could help? I noticed that the original FPFP windows installer is very similar to that of GK, so perhaps it could be meddled with.

Regards,
Simplex