VOGONS

First post, by Kenloc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded robot odyssey and it runs. To get to the menu I hit esc twice then hit enter. At the prompt I type menu and that comes up. When I try to use the inovative lab or the other things under the menu they won't work. I just get the prompt. Anybody know how to make these things work? kenloc

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There may be something wrong with the copy you downloaded. You should ask the people who run the site where you downloaded the game, or try another download from somewhere else.

I can tell you that you're probably better off trying to run the Apple II version in an emulator instead of the DOS version. The DOS version actually uses a rather strange and unreliable method of copy protection that relies on a "flaky bit" present on the original media; there are ways to patch the problem, but again, you'll have to search for them.

In any case, this is not especially a DOSBox problem.

Reply 3 of 3, by DiskingRound

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Downloading these games are 99% percent of the time considered "abandonware" something that is out of this forum's scope.

The bottom of every VOGONS page wrote:

This site hosts no abandonware. There is no material that is knowingly illegal here.
vogons.org will not be held responsible for users' posts.
This disclaimer is brought to you thanks to the BSA.

Not only is abandonware a form of piracy, you are often times downloading a broken copy of the game that is corrupted, contains a virus, modified by a bunch of fl*nders who are usually inexperienced or is otherwise damaged in some way causing your issues.
DOSBox is to play your own games and not an illegal copy of Doom, for example. Many ABW sites still host Doom II but it's still on Steam.
Ask for help where you downloaded the game. Post here again when you got a legal copy.

People who use Norton Antivirus should shame themselves for being so poor and unable to afford a real antivirus. It keeps recognizing everything as Suspicious.Cloud and WS.Reputation.1. Just use MSE or better.