VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a really strange one.

The game installs fine and launches fine in the recommended Win 3.x install as described here in the forums.

If the game is launched with the video driver set to more than 256 colors it will warn the user at launch that the game may not look proper. Sure enough, the title screen and ever screen thereafter has messed up coloring.

However, if the driver (The S3 driver recommended) is set to 256 colors, the warning goes away but the title screen and all subsequent text is upside down. The colors are no longer messed up, but all the text is upside down.

7FqWvEy.png
Note that just the text is upside down, not the background image.

I attempted running the game via MS-DOS installed in DOSBox w/ a WIn3.x installation and was surprised to find the game goes to a black screen on launch and never recovers. Generally going this route fixes emulation problems, however n this case it runs worse.

Generally I don't post Win3.x errors here as there isn't much of a community messing with these games, however in this case I figured the upside down text screens warranted a post. I figured maybe someone had seen that problem before as it would appear to be a driver or driver emulation error rather than the game itself.

As always, any input is welcome. Thanks.

Reply 2 of 6, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I believe it does use WinG. The "optimizing graphics performance" test with the red wiggling pipes is WinG, correct?

I'll look into tracking down type manager for 3.x to see if it makes a difference.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
exofreeze wrote:

Yes, I believe it does use WinG. The "optimizing graphics performance" test with the red wiggling pipes is WinG, correct?

That's the one, yes. It might be worth trying to investigate if anyone back in the day had problems with WinG unexpectedly flipping things, but unfortuantely "WinG" is not a particularly Googlable term. (Maybe it's as easy as replacing outdated WinG DLLs included with the game with newer versions?)

Reply 4 of 6, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There doesn't appear to be any WinG files on the cd.

The root folder has some basic readmes, a setup, icon file, and quicktime setup. A FILES folder contains the quicktime movies (.mov), CXT and DXR files. Then a MEDIA folder contains 2 different language folders, each one full of AIF files.

I dumped the files to a folder and then ran a quicktime install to see if it detected any qt components, however it didn't.

Reply 5 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
exofreeze wrote:

There doesn't appear to be any WinG files on the cd.

Couldn't it be buried in the "setup"? There are at least WinG files somewhere in your Win 3.x image, aren't there? As per wiki, that would be wing.dll, wing32.dll, wingde.dll, wingdib.drv and wngpal.wnd.

Reply 6 of 6, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I did reinstall WinG after the game installed at one point to make sure I had the latest copy. I'm used to reinstalling VFW after game installs in order to get back to the 1.1e version.

So I was looking for files on the CD that might be over riding files in the install.