VOGONS

First post, by [JJ]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, As a former webmaster and forum dictator I'd like to give my opinion on this section (Games/Apps), this forum - if it's well moderated - could be a really useful database of Games and Applications that run/don't run in DOSBox. If the (alot of the time) cryptic forum topics were kept to just the game/app name then there would be no need for 7 or 8 posts about Privateer (did a quick search) as all the items relating to the game/app would be in the same thread. This would help people such as myself who wish to post about a certain game but don't wish to go over old ground which has been said before... as an example I'll give the URL and forum of my old site (before handing over the keys of power) which had, and still does have a forum where the game title is the topic of the thread http://www.remakes.org/website/forum/forumdis … hp?s=&forumid=7

How does everyone else feel about this?

[JJ]
Beverage Master 1st Dan

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If people who succeeds in making a game/application run would just enter the details in the compatibility database, so it was updated regularly, then it would be easy to redirect the simply questions to the database.

And by details I mean any changes to the normal installation procedure as outlined in the game manual, information on which sound card emulation they settled on, any changes to the default DOSBox configuration file (EMS, XMS, DPMI, VGA/EGA/Auto, ...).

Even unsuccessful attempts should - after the appropriate discussion here - be recorded with the same level of details.

Other than that, I totally agree. As a dictator in spe, I would have no problem with renaming a thread/subject once it has settled down. Sometimes the new subject will be just the name of the game, sometimes it would be a specific cross-game technical issue, ... Anything will probably end up with a "Off topic" prefix 😀
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The Idea is good. And The forum was intended to be this way as well.
Unfortunately people don't search for a problem with a certain game.
People just add their problem not caring if it allready exists.

(only look at the amount of crusader games)

Moderating it is hard. (and personally I think we lack the moderators to maintain it).

Snover: What is your opinion about it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 3, by [JJ]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi QBix, I'd offer to moderate it for yourselves as long as it didn't take up a huge amount of time. I'd personally do a huge clear up of the entire forum as sifting through the junk would take an age. Mail me if you need an experienced hand...

[JJ]
Beverage Master 1st Dan