VOGONS

First post, by SBeaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings 😀
An old-time favourite of mine is having a little problem.
The game in question is Colonization.
As stated in the game support comments by another user, sound fx don't work or work very badly.
The game still runs very well and the music is perfect, with almost any of the drivers that you can chose from in setup.
When trying sound fx setting, I tried the soundblasters and then all the others but none worked.
Sometimes I at least think there is a little sound but then the sound "collapses" into a screaming sound of static.
I think I have had such problems in real DOS mode too sometimes if I'm not misstaken but never this bad.
I have DOSBOX 0.61 and the latest version of colonization (the one that included a map editor that was available as a patch from microprose/infogames until a couple of years ago when they removed it)
On some configs I seem to get a lack of memory message from colonize setup but not always.
Any ideas? I'm running DOSBOX with the frontend at stock settings and have tried upping the memory a little and enabling cms, whatever that means.
(win2k sp4, intel p4 non-HT etc....)

Reply 2 of 12, by SBeaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK it seems simple enough, but where do I set the startup directory?
I don't want to get stuck with the keyboard compatibillity problems since I don't have a US keyboard.
Or maybe that bug was fixed.

Reply 6 of 12, by SBeaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought I mentioned that in my first thread, I have tried all that are available.
This is the list:

COVOX Sound
Soundblaster (orig)
Soundblaster pro (early)
Soundblaster pro (later)
Pro audio spectrum
Pro audio spectrum plus/16
GOLD sound standard

I think the proaudio makes some kind of sound for example when I attack with a soldier but it is just a short thing that goes away and is replaced by something I thought sounded like waves or wind.
It's not how it should sound anyway.
All SB cards give screaming sounds.
I tried swapping irq and adress but that didn't help (changing both in dosbox and in this setup)

Reply 7 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well I fear then there's nothing you can do.

(maybe disable ems)

If soundblaster pro (later) doesn't work (which is our main soundcard) then you're out of luck with sound on this game. Maybe in the future it will get better, but at the moment dosbox soundemulation and micropose colonizaion can't communicate properly.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well.. it speeds up intro but instead the sound there is still just a loud noice.
I guess that it is the same problem as with other Microprose games: "Dragon Sphere" and "Return of the Phantom"
Dragonsphere

Reply 11 of 12, by SBeaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the version changes file for version 3.0 in file and another thing from the MPS that you can entertain yourself with if you get lonely (it goes in the game dir)

Attachments

• Filename
    col.zip
    File size
    10.74 KiB
    Downloads
    348 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception