VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've setup over 700 games in win3x at this point and apart from the fact my postman hates me and I hear that bloody chime in my dreams sometimes, it has been rather successful so far.

Today's oddball is Savage: The Ultimate Quest for Survival. I started by setting the game up using a vanilla 0.74 w/ Win 3.1 setup as described in the thread posted here on the forums. The game launches, shows the intro videos and then goes to a screen of options to set the screen size/resolution.

xhxQnui.png

At this point the software stops responding. The mouse cursor won't move and typing on the keyboard seems to have no effect. During install I noticed it had a joystick driver, so I attempted to set joystick=none to prevent it from attempting to use one. When that didn't work I set it to 2axis and used the keymapper to map the joystick to the arrow keys just to make sure it wasn't trying to use that control method.

Next step was to try the same setup but with a daily build from about 2 months ago.

After that I tried the DAUM build. Then I tried the DAUM build but with a virtual disk running MS-DOS w/ Win 3.1. For the pickiest games, this combination has a high success rate. However, with all of the above combinations I got the exact same result. The game installed, launched, played it's intro movies, and then got stuck on the video options screen.

I tried cputype=486_slow, I tried disabling the joystick, enabling it and assigning it a keymapper, 3 different builds of dosbox and then a virtual hard drive w/ MS-DOS/Win3.1, and I also ran the debugger to generate a log file.

I know it's a long shot, but I thought I'd post here and see if anyone else had any ideas. Thanks.

edit: I forgot to mention that the log file didn't show anything of particular note, at least as far as I could tell.