VOGONS

First post, by ViLe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

why tyrian doesn't work on dosbox? It jamms when main menu tries to open. I have upgraded it to version 2.0 and it didnt help.

Reply 2 of 8, by LordJames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've beaten Tyrian several times in DosBox .61. It seems to work fine for me. The audio was a bit jacked at some points (hanging notes) but other than that completely playable even at Pentium detail on my computer.
-Jim

Reply 4 of 8, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't get Tyrian 2k to work, either.

I'm using DOSbox 0.61, and the Boxer frontend. The problem is, well, that the Tyrian Setup prog gives me some weird error (error to exit: INT: Gate selector points to...), and then DOSbox shuts down. If I try to run Tyrian2k.exe, it just shuts down, before I have a chance to read the error.

What gives?

Reply 6 of 8, by PPaladin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got it working too, be sure to run the setup util.

I think I downloaded it from *censored* but I'm not sure.

Anyway, here is my setup .cfg file for tyrian2k. Maybe it'll help you out...

Attachments

• Filename
    TYRIAN.CFG
    File size
    28 Bytes
    Downloads
    301 downloads
    File comment
    Put it in the tyrian2k dir.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol. Yep, DOSBox 0.60 doesn't like Tyrian2k (wasn't fully ready to be emulated yet)

DOSBox 0.61 is able to run Tyrian2k...

The last CVS Build that I have that is able to run Tyrian2k (even though sound was funky) was my May 25th Build. The one that broke it (it seems) was the June 13th build. It freezes up when I try to start a new game.

So somewhere between those 7 days of coding something got broken.
Being the days that they actually uploaded stuff to the CVS source.
Hope this helps some Qbix...

QUICK NOTE: Tyrian apparently runs differently then Tyrian2k... I assumed they ran the same way... Guess not. Tyrian runs prefectly fine in my latest personal DOSBox CVS build. Tyrian2k I guess has always had problems.

Tyrian was made by Epic Megagames and was patched to V2.1 or 2.01 (depending on what you read)
Tyrian2k was made by XSIV Games and was only released as version 1.0.

That's all I know for sure about these two games.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 8 of 8, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm.

I am now able to run Tyrian within DOSbox. I even got the music running, and boy does it run beautifully (seems like CPU cycles 8500 was the trick on my comp - any deviation up or down, and the game slows down. I also note that detail: Low is needed to make the game not slow down as soon as the screen fills up with enemies...).

My main problem right now is that the sound effects are a bit stuttery. It's not "tatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatata", but rather "tatatatatatata *silence* tatatatatatatata *silence* tatatatatata". seems to me that it's got something to do with sound buffering... I've tried setting it high (chunks of 32000) which gave me more time between the silences. I've tried setting it low (chunks of 1,2 or 32) which give me really bad radio- kind of sounds.

Ideas?