VOGONS

First post, by ccin1492

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run System Shock and it runs really well, except the graphics aren't as sharp as I would like. I've searched all the posts, but can't find anything that really helps.

Were the graphics really that bad back then and we didn't know any better or is there a way to improve the graphics. I'm hoping there is. Here are my settings in the config:

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullwidth=0
fullheight=0
output=surface
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true

Reply 2 of 14, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think it will not get any better - the game was like that (it is an OLD game!).
There could be just problem if you used OpenGL: there are two possibilities in DOSBOX ("opengl" and I think "openglnb"). One of them uses bilinear filtering - so it gets rid of "pixelation" but it looses sharpness (this is no good for my eyes - I prefer myself "pixelation" before trying to focus on unsharp picture).
But this concerns only OpenGL (and you are using "surface" - you will not get any better there).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 14, by ccin1492

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Manias wrote:

I found some old screenshots of the game.. compare the dosbox gfx with those:)
http://www.mobygames.com/game/shots/gameId,681/

These screenshots are much better than what I'm seeing. I wonder how he's running it. Is this using dosbox?

Reply 6 of 14, by ccin1492

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirekluza wrote:
I think it will not get any better - the game was like that (it is an OLD game!). There could be just problem if you used OpenGL […]
Show full quote

I think it will not get any better - the game was like that (it is an OLD game!).
There could be just problem if you used OpenGL: there are two possibilities in DOSBOX ("opengl" and I think "openglnb"). One of them uses bilinear filtering - so it gets rid of "pixelation" but it looses sharpness (this is no good for my eyes - I prefer myself "pixelation" before trying to focus on unsharp picture).
But this concerns only OpenGL (and you are using "surface" - you will not get any better there).

Mirek

From looking at the screeshots posted on MobyGames, it seems possible to get a much sharper picture (although it's not clear whether or not it's possible with DosBox).

Mirek, are you suggesting I use either opengl or openglnb for output or is surface the better way to go?

robertmo, what does scalar=none do?

BTW, thanks to all for the comments.

Tim

Reply 8 of 14, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is SVGA support (either in the game directly or there is some better version). Look here:
http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/sysshock.htm
This is among requirements on the page:
Graphics: Systems with 4 megs RAM: 256-color VGA (320 x 200); Systems with 8 megs RAM: 256-color VGA (320 x 200, 320 x 400); 256-color SVGA (640 x 400, 640 x 480).
So I guess you are running VGA and wondering why it does not look like SVGA 😀. Try UNIVBE for VESA support, perhaps it will allow SVGA (if it is contained in your version). But be warned that even if you succeed, it will be much slower than VGA.

Mirek

Reply 9 of 14, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The floppy version only support 320x200.

The CD version can also use 320x400, 640x400 and 640x480. I prefer 640x400, cause the game was designed with the 8:5 ratio in mind.

Reply 10 of 14, by ccin1492

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirekluza wrote:
There is SVGA support (either in the game directly or there is some better version). Look here: http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/ […]
Show full quote

There is SVGA support (either in the game directly or there is some better version). Look here:
http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/sysshock.htm
This is among requirements on the page:
Graphics: Systems with 4 megs RAM: 256-color VGA (320 x 200); Systems with 8 megs RAM: 256-color VGA (320 x 200, 320 x 400); 256-color SVGA (640 x 400, 640 x 480).
So I guess you are running VGA and wondering why it does not look like SVGA 😀. Try UNIVBE for VESA support, perhaps it will allow SVGA (if it is contained in your version). But be warned that even if you succeed, it will be much slower than VGA.

Mirek

Mirek,

Thanks so much for the help.

Some questions:
* My system has 512M of RAM. Does DOSBox have access to all of this? If not, do I need to set anything in the config to grab the 8M necessary to run SVGA @ 640x480?
* Am I running VGA? I'm not sure because it's set to auto. I have tried setting it VGA, but it looked the same. So maybe auto is running VGA (In any case it's not running SVGA 🙁 ). How do I get SVGA then? What is UNIVBE? BTW, my game does have SVGA support (I looked in the manual)!

Thanks,
Tim

Reply 12 of 14, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Memory: no need to do anything, DOSBOX provides enough by default.
Auto in DOSBOX.CONF: It is ok, leave it like that.
Resolution: you will se t in game somewehere (installer), I do not know how it is in System Shock
UNIVBE - see this thread:
VESA error

Mirek

Reply 14 of 14, by davydo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I played that one to completion "in the day" and I remember that there were toggleable options in game. They made them game unplayable, but it looked like that. It was a slideshow 😉 I actually upgraded my machine to make the game faster but I only got good speed at lower resolutions.