VOGONS

v. 0.61 messes The Dig up

Topic actions

First post, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😕
v. 0.60 was fine, now v. 0.61 ( February 3rd, 2004 Win32 installer ) breaks The Dig and gives an endless Flood of "Illegal read at xxxx" messages and that's the end of it.
Fyi xxxx is something like 1124a098 and increasing for ever.
I made no special hardware or software changing since using v. 0.60 and the latter is still working fine anyway.
What should be done about it ?

Reply 3 of 22, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Strange - my version of The Dig works in 0.61 official Dosbox. I haven't changed anything in my dosbox.conf.

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Reply 4 of 22, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Manias wrote:

use scummvm! 😜

😵
you know what, this thought had already crossed my mind
(see e.g.
The Dig and DosBox 0.60
from DosBox Games/Apps section)
but since I figure this is less a matter of "I need a way to play game X" than "will DosBox let me play game X" it's not relevant here imho.

Xerxes wrote : Strange - my version of The Dig works in 0.61 official Dosbox

yet I can confirm I've been trying 0.61 using two different machines and it crashed on both, as opposed to 0.60 which doesn't.
There's one thing these 2 computers share, that is both having a Nvidia video adaptor (resp. GeForce 2 and GeForce Fx 5600, Detonator 40.xx and 44.xx for WinXP drivers), different than your Ati Radeon.
Does this mean something ?

Reply 6 of 22, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

Yeah, both have VERY OLD drivers

Yep, I hear you loud and clear 😖
then you hear this :
I just went and grabbed Forceware for WinXP
Version: 53.03
Release Date: December 9, 2003
WHQL Certified

(I'd say these can be VERY NEW drivers, can't they ?)

I've just finished organizing another 0.61/Dig date and
it's a hell of illegal read mumbo-jumbo again.

Nothing has changed.
The drivers' age made no difference 😜
although I wish it had worked 😒

Reply 7 of 22, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried rjpa Dosbox build?

http://www.mypixels.dk/forums/index.php?showforum=2

ps. did i mention that i have Radeon? 😉

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Reply 8 of 22, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since this is an emulator which doesn't use any fancy 3D graphics, the drivers hardly matters. It's a simple 2D screen all the time. The crappiest graphic card should be able to handle that. At least in 0.60, as 0.61 does a check for OpenGL even if one doesn't use it. But older nVidia drivers have OpenGL so that can't be the problem either.

Reply 9 of 22, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The messages are related to the new paging support -- assuming that they are actually "Illegal read from xxxx".

This is a new feature that wasn't there in DOSBOX 0.60 and probably isn't 100% perfect yet. I don't think this is related to the host hard- or software.

gidierre, Xerxes, could you two please post the version number of your "The Dig" games? Maybe you have different version with one using paging if available while the other one never touches it.

Reply 10 of 22, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

could you two please post the version number of your "The Dig" games?

Sure - The Dig ver 1.00 10/30/95 (taken from readme.txt)

Reply 11 of 22, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Fizzban wrote:

The messages are related to the new paging support -- assuming that they are actually "Illegal read from xxxx".

This is a new feature that wasn't there in DOSBOX 0.60 and probably isn't 100% perfect yet. I don't think this is related to the host hard- or software.

gidierre, Xerxes, could you two please post the version number of your "The Dig" games? Maybe you have different version with one using paging if available while the other one never touches it.

My specs are

The Dig v 1.00 10/30/95

dig.exe Feb 9th 1996 15:31:06 469,313 bytes

and yes they're all

Illegal read from xxxx 😢

which very likely proves you're right.

Xerxes wrote <Have you tried rjpa Dosbox build?>

not yet, I'm not over that **** 2 post hurdle thing...

Reply 12 of 22, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

did The Dig it work with dpmi=false in 0.60 ?
if not than it works only with integrated dpmi host.
Other possibility is with some instructions that got exceptions added and that caused some problems (Transport Tycoon).
There is also problem with pagefaults when pagefault wants to have on stack correct address where pagefault occurred, but doesn't because eip isn't updated often enough in cpu cores....

Reply 14 of 22, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the same version - dig.exe 463.457, 27-10-95

Reply 15 of 22, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Srecko wrote:

did The Dig it work with dpmi=false in 0.60 ?
if not than it works only with integrated dpmi host.

Right, it only works in 0.60 if dpmi=true.
afaik no such option in 0.61 anymore, right ?

"Disabled DPMI (not needed anymore. DOSBox handles almost every extender)"

Reply 17 of 22, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, DPMI is not available in 0.61 release. Internall DPMI was discontinued in 0.61 (too much trouble to adapt it on paging and nearly all games work without it or with CWSDPMI (free 32bit DPMI server)).
It may be possible to use it DPMI setting in DOSBOX.CONF with debugger enabled version but not with the release (it is commented out from source code). In any case it is no longer updated.

Mirek

Reply 18 of 22, by Matthieu

User metadata

I want to buy the Dig and try DosBox with it. But the release I could get is from 2002 (not 1995). Could someone tell me if this will work with DosBox ? I doubt that it's DOS-compatible (this will tell me that the executable is for Windows 95/98 probably) ... I didn't find any information about that on the net.

Infos : I don't use windows, and scummvm seems to have bugs in the engine that prevent finishing the game (I read that on a mailing-list).

Thanks !

Reply 19 of 22, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The rerelease of The Dig runs under Windows and I don't think it comes with the DOS interpreter. Whatever it says on the forums, SCUMMVM is good enough to play The Dig. However, not all platforms have the exact same compatability with SCUMMVM