VOGONS

First post, by Ferry

User metadata

Hi there,

I've been trying to run an old FoxPro 2.6 program called "Pegasus Opera 2.6"in DosBox in Windows XP Pro.

The program almost works, but I'm getting the FoxPro error "Too Many Files Open". The usual solution to that error is to include a "FILES=140" statement in the "windows\system32\config.nt" file.

I have included that statement, but I still get the error. The FoxPro program then cancels itself and I'm thrown back to the DosBox window.

Pegasus Opera is an accountancy program, but I hope you can help me!

Thanks,

Ferry

Motherboard: Don't know
Processor type and speed: Pentium 4 2.4
Amount and type of RAM: 512Mb
Video board w/ RAM amount and type: Don't know
Sound board: Don't know
Operating system: Windows XP Pro
Game name (and version, if applicable): Pegasus Opera 2.4 (not a game)
Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.): I can always reproduce the error.
Sound mode used: Don't know
Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution): Don't know
Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+): DosBox 0.61
I've read the readme!

Reply 1 of 3, by Markus

User metadata

The FILES-statement in config.nt doesn't affect dosbox, it's only for programs, that are run through command.com.
Dosbox internally uses 100 files, right now, you can only compile dosbox yourself after increasing the files in the sources.

Why do you want to run this app under dosbox? It will most certainly run under XP's own dosbox.

Reply 2 of 3, by Ferry

User metadata

I have tried to run it in XP. But although I have selected "Run in Window" and "Windows 95", everytime the window jumps to full screen, goes black and just stays like that.

I have used CPUKiller to slow down my processor while trying to run FoxPro in XP (a known problem), but it doesn't make any difference!

Thanks for your help anyway.

Ferry