VOGONS

First post, by Mumpu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone had luck getting good framerates in Strike Commander?

Athlon XP1900+ 384 RAM GeForce2
DOSBox 0.61 with 64 mb allocated and 10000 CPU cycles chugs badly.

Reply 1 of 5, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

isn't 64mb too much for dosbox?? reduce it to like 16mb and 8000 cycles, and you should get there

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 3 of 5, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DOS_Boy wrote:

isn't 64mb too much for dosbox??

No, it's not. I wish DOSBox had support for more. And that it will have support up to 128MB someday in the future. Otherwise I won't be able to play Redguard with it.

Daggerfall uses about 40-45MB, and Battlespire 55-60MB so 64MB isn't that much. And DOS doesn't have any virtual memory either, like Windows, so one must have enough memory.

Strike Commander, however, doesn't use more than 16MB. To allocate more memory than needed is kinda a waste, but shouldn't decrease the overall performance, no?

Anyway, Mumpu, try to increase the frameskip to 3 or 4. I'm not sure if a XP1900+ is fast enough for good Strike Commander performance.

Reply 5 of 5, by Silencer131

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Strike Commander is just another I-pay-this-game-by-hardware-made-by-Origin game. 😉 The game ran a-okay on a 486 DX2 (66 Mhz). Just like Privateer and many other Origin games they required high end machines at that time. The funny thing is: iIt ran with 66 Mhz and now we are beyond the 3 G(!)hz and even then these games demand a high end machine today (when being played with an emulator such as dosbox). Some things never change. 😉 In return Origin made many games that still havent been beaten today (sad to say they couldnt continue this success at some point in history 😜). At this point I should start to express my dislike about EA... 😵