VOGONS

Rules of Engagement 2 IGS

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Woah. I've cleaned up the thread a bit. Please don't attach a bunch of Clipper stuff just because it *might* have some reference to the linker in question. That's not really helpful.

What I'm interested in knowing about *specifically* is RTLink/Plus published by Pocket Soft, and the "smart vectoring" feature of that linker in particular.

This seems like a good way to start the search, but of course there's no guarantee the info is laying around somewhere on the net: https://www.google.com/search?&q=rtlink+pocket+soft

Reply 21 of 27, by epcdaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies and I have no idea. I am not technically savvy (I am a finance guy) so tech (and old tech) is beyond me. However, I do have a passion for old games so really appreciate your help and your shared curiosity on this issue. Appreciate all you help you can provide!

Edit: Not sure what I am looking for but there is a blog on another person trying to dive deeper in the the old adventure games using RTLink/Plus

https://dm-notes.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-int … assembling.html

Reply 23 of 27, by threndos feld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Resurrecting this thread because I, like RobAllen and epcdaddy, very much want to get this game running in it's v1.08 incarnation. That version is necessary to get Rules of Engagement 2 (the ship simulator) to call Breach 3 (the marine boarding party game).
1. @epcdaddy - I still have my original floppies and hardcover manuals of the developers kit
2. @epcdaddy - One thing that epcdaddy mentioned that is new is that they got V1.08 working on dos box with sound and voice but no music. Does anyone here know how they did that? That's a first-on-the-net as near as I can tell.
3. @ripsaw8080, the original patch notes for v1.08 indicate that the only thing that patch did was allow Rules of Engagement 2 to work with Breach 3. Given your description of RTLinker above I imagine they needed that code to get RoE2 and B3 linked back up.
4. By the way, I have tenuous contact with one of the original devs at Omnitrend. They're still around. So if someone around here can formulate the technical questions I might be able to get answers...

Would love to get this thing working and actually PLAY Rob Allen's campaign which is still up. As of right now I can't even get it running with no sound.

v/r
Threndos Feld

Reply 24 of 27, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
threndos feld wrote on 2020-08-20, 03:18:

the original patch notes for v1.08 indicate that the only thing that patch did was allow Rules of Engagement 2 to work with Breach 3. Given your description of RTLinker above I imagine they needed that code to get RoE2 and B3 linked back up.

A linker does not refer to linking the games together. The 1.08 version includes some feature of RTLink called "smart vectoring", which is not included in the 1.07 version, and that feature appears to be the sticking point. So, if you can contact the developer, ask if they can link the game code without that feature or provide some info on how to disable the feature at runtime.

Reply 25 of 27, by threndos feld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-08-20, 05:26:

A linker does not refer to linking the games together. The 1.08 version includes some feature of RTLink called "smart vectoring", which is not included in the 1.07 version, and that feature appears to be the sticking point. So, if you can contact the developer, ask if they can link the game code without that feature or provide some info on how to disable the feature at runtime.

Got it. Will (try to) comply.

Thanks!

Reply 26 of 27, by RobAllen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm still interested in this, but I don't use DOSBox for this anymore since I managed to find an old laptop on sale and got all the games running in Windows 95 on it. I've been slowly building a ROE2+B3 campaign over the years with it. Transferring the files is a bit fiddly since I have to use cd's for it but it works well enough. I would definitely like to see a modern update to these games if the dev is interested.

If anyone is interested, I am maintaining a ROE2 Campaign repository here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5VSO … c203NnE5b2ExWDQ

If you build any campaigns and want to share them, let me know and I can host them there, or host links to your own repositories if you like.

Check out my Rules of Engagement 2 Scenario Repository: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5VSO … WDQ&usp=sharing

Reply 27 of 27, by Ecte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies for this being another resurrection of this thread, but I am slowly attempting to get ROE2 1.08+B3 to run in 86Box... They appear to work fine - ROE2 1.08 certainly runs with sound with no issues. My only problem is getting the squad commanders in B3 to be read in ROE2 1.08. I've tried specifying the location of B3, but every time ROE2 says "Invalid path or no Squad Leaders found."