VOGONS

First post, by Phod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been adding a bunch of my old DOS games into DOSBOX, trying both to run straight from DOSBOX and using the D-FEND front end. For the purpose of this issue, I've tried both and get the same error.

I've installed dozens of DOS game CDs and havent had any problems yet. This is the first game to give me an issue.

I install the Return to Zork CD and it installs fine. Then I try to launch from C:, both pointing to D: as a standard CD drive and as D: to the CD's image. When I launch Return to Zork from the executable, it flashes the error HARD I/O ERROR AT 30 and then some numbers. It flashes a couple times, goes dark, then comes up again. Launched from D-FEND, from DOSBOX, using both the CD and CD image. All the same. I tried to select different CPU types and nothing changed. Lowered the cycles, nothing. Raised, nothing. Same errors over and over.

Any ideas? I searched for this problem and never found it. Any ideas? Thank you!

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you mounting exactly the same directory on drive C when you run the game and when you install the game? If you mounted c:\whatever as drive C when you installed the game, and then tried to mount c:\whatever\zork as drive C afterwards, that probably won't work. This is all in the 60 Seconds Guide.

Phod wrote:

I've installed dozens of DOS game CDs and havent had any problems yet. This is the first game to give me an issue.

Actually, this is probably similar to the problem you had with Mission Critical. Remember that?

If all else fails, Return to Zork is supported by ScummVM and will probably be effortless to get running there.

Reply 2 of 6, by Phod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm well I'm actually trying to run it without even mounting a directory for the cd drive.

I launch dosbox. Mount the cd drive as d: and install the game and run it and get that error. So just simulating an old machine, then I tried mounting d: as the cd image of the Return to Zork cd and have the same issue.

I'll give it a once over again and see if I'm making a mistake somewhere. Thanks again for the help!

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Phod wrote:

Hmm well I'm actually trying to run it without even mounting a directory for the cd drive.

I launch dosbox. Mount the cd drive as d: and install the game and run it and get that error. So just simulating an old machine, then I tried mounting d: as the cd image of the Return to Zork cd and have the same issue.

This doesn't make any sense. You will always need to at least mount something as drive C and something as drive D. Following the aforementioned guide would be an excellent start.

Reply 4 of 6, by Phod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure why you're being so hostile 😀

Drive c is mounted as whatever dfend defaults it to, which is something something /.VirtualHD/ or whatever.

Drive d is mounted as the cd image ISO, which I set up using d fend.

So both drives are mounted properly.

I've added about 50 cd games through d fend with the same method and all of them have worked flawlessly.

Just curious if anyone has seen this error with return to zork

Reply 5 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Unless you do it once following the guide, we will always suspect it's because of a mismatch of install and play mounts.
Your problem with "Mission Critical" proves, not everything will work flawlessly...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 6, by Chubawuba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to respond to an old thread, but I saw this while looking up some stuff on RTZ.

IIRC, without the CD mounted, the game SHOULD default to the DOS version. Always. I ran into this problem running RTZ myself with boxer, even with the CD. It kept running the DOS version (difference being no sound, no video, etc). I don't think you can run the full CD version without mounting an image or the actual disk.

I myself have to figure out how to get an image of the game because I no longer have a CD rom in my computer, so my disk is useless.

If you're getting an error, it sounds like you picked a wrong setting.