VOGONS

First post, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to let you know that RIPPER works great with DosBox 0.61 - however, i needed to add the VESA switch to RIPPER.EXE to get it run (see readme.txt in the latest RIPPER patch, where all switches are mentioned - i played around with it a little until i got the best results). Then however, it played without any problems. So another fine dos game playable in a windows window... 😀

Reply 2 of 6, by Mondblut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hm.. well.. what have u done exactly to get it running? coz i cant even install it.. always DOXBOX craches and exit itself.. 🙁

DNA-Drivers - The Gamer's Driver - http://www.dna-drivers.nl

Reply 3 of 6, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could someone please explain how to get this to even install?

I get a 'illegal read' from such and such hex memory address
then-- Fatal signal Segementation fault parachute deployed
then --crash--

help please whomever can get this one working! Thanks!

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32
Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas

Reply 5 of 6, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I tried it with the newest ver 63. (sorry for the lack of details!)

I don't understand how these guys (and the guy on the dosbox website) claim to have gotten this to work if you can't even run the installer...Anyone?

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32
Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas

Reply 6 of 6, by Hosehead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem with the installation program on my XP system. I was able to get around the installation hangup by running the installation program in XP, and choosing the settings that I knew I would be using in .63, or any settings, to just get the thing installed. Then to finalize the settings, I ran the setup program in the game directory from .63, using the /v3 command line switch that becomes available after patching with the 1.5 patch. The game sets up and runs fine at that point.

I like to run these games off the hard drive, which creates a problem with this game, since it checks for the CD volume labels. I was able to mount hard drive directories and assign them labels (and modify the take2.ini file), but the maximum amount that can be recognized is 4. I can mount the other two, with the MSDEX errors, but the setup program only recognizes the first four. Does anybody know how to "fool" a label checking routine? I've messed with the .ini files for the game, but haven't hit upon a magic combination.

So far my only workaround is to create two conf files, one for CD's 1-4 and the other for CD's 1-2;5-6, each with it's own shortcut from Windows. This is obviously a drag, as it requires shutting down the game and restarting it from the other icon. But for me it's not much worse than tracking down CD's and swapping them.

"Be Quick, Or Be Hosed!"