VOGONS

First post, by Da Easy Mitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I tried to set up Savage Warriors (by Mindscape) in DosBox, but whenever I try to use music in the game, dosbox locks up loading the battle stage. It's not that the whole PC locks up, it's just that DosBox doesn't respond to any commands any longer and that I can't crontrol anyting else on the PC, since my mouse won't work any more. I always have to restart the PC by opening the task manager and tabbing my way to the shutdow button top restart the machine.

I tried both CD audio (real redbook audio and ripped as OGG files) as well as digital music, tried several settings for the SoundBlaster, all to no avail. Only if I turn the music off in the game options, I can play it. But since the soundtrack is one of the biggest advantages of this game, this isn't exactly satisfying.

Did anyone get Savage Warriors to run with music in DosBox?

Reply 1 of 10, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not an answer to your question, but have you tried pressing Ctrl+F10 to tell DOSBox to release the mouse, so you can just close the DOSBox window normally?

Reply 2 of 10, by Da Easy Mitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I tried Ctrl+F10, Ctrl+F9 (close DosBox) and every other Ctrl+Fx combination. I managed to close it just now by opening a cmd prompt in the backkground and killing the process via the taskkil coomand blindly.

Reply 3 of 10, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you confirm these keyboard shortcuts work e.g. to kill DOSBox before you load the game? Just checking to make sure the shortcuts haven't been changed.

Reply 5 of 10, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds to me like it's a problem with your PC rather than DOSBox. For instance you might have DOSBox set to use a real MIDI device, but due to a bug in your drivers, using MIDI causes applications to freeze. (I'm not saying this is the problem, just an example.)

Perhaps you can try changing some of your DOSBox options, switching various devices on and off until you can figure out which type of device is causing the problem. If you're using digital music, then disabling MIDI shouldn't affect anything.

I presume you've tried other games and they don't exhibit the same problem?

Reply 6 of 10, by Da Easy Mitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Every other game I set up with DosBox so far worked like a charm, they all share the same standard settings as well, as long as they don't require a different one (e.g. no EMS memory), of course. I'll try disabling any other device than the Soundblaster in the config file, maybe this will help.

Reply 7 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Now that I've seen in the DOSBox-x branch that you are using an cue/bin image with ogg files for the music tracks, the problem could be exactly that.
Please re-rip the game to a complete cue/bin that includes the audio tracks and try again.

Edit: and give a SVN built of DOSBox a try (again with a full rip). http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 10, by Da Easy Mitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already tried a full BIN/CUE with actual redbook audio. No difference. The problem also occurs when using digital music, instead of cd audio, so it's pretty safe to assume it's a problem with DosBox and/or the game itself.

UPDATE: It works with the current SVN build of DosBox-X and usind a full BIN/CUE rip (with cd audio instead of OGG files)! 😁

Reply 9 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Can you try with a SVN of Dosbox, preferably the Emucr one...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 10, by Da Easy Mitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the EmuCR-SVN build yesterday and it worked, too. Strangely, I the tried the vanilla build again and this time the CD audio worked with that one as well. Don't know why it wouldn't work before. However I'll stick to the SVN builds for games that use CD music, because it has working volume control.