VOGONS

First post, by gumpy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick (probably silly) question about Star Control 2 - is it possible to edit the alien dialog with a hex editor or something like that? (I'm not interested in changing the dialog trees or anything like that - just changing some of the text for fun)

(I know that there are several mods for the "Ur-Quan Masters" which is the open-source port of the game for Windows and such, but I'm kind of a DOS purist and would like to know if there's a way to edit the original DOS release. 😀 )

7citiesbanner.gif

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Should be able to do so. Just do a string search for a known line to find the relevant file and start editing 😉
Just beware not to add characters or make the lines shorter.
If a line has twelve charactersit needs to keep those twelve characters (or experiment whether it's the line or the whole text segment).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It seems that Ur-Quan Masters has tools for unpacking the game resource files; or at least there's source code for such tools in the repository. See the part about "To use this program" here.

Reply 5 of 5, by gumpy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

It seems that Ur-Quan Masters has tools for unpacking the game resource files; or at least there's source code for such tools in the repository. See the part about "To use this program" here.

Thanks! I'll check it out. Though this seems to only unpack the files - I'll need a way to repack the files once I'm done editing.

7citiesbanner.gif