VOGONS

First post, by Lightseeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've recently managed to install Windows 3.1 under Dosbox 0.74 and have managed to get quite a few games running smoothly. However, I have a problem with "The Vortex - Quantum Gate II". Whenever I start the game (Installation works fine), I do not see the cutscenes or hear the voices, I only see the backgrounds, making the game unplayable.

I tried it with Quicktime Version 1.0 (included on the Vortex disc) and with the newest version for Windows 3.1, but it doesn't make any difference. I'm a bit puzzled, especially because "Quantum Gate I" is running without any issues and all the scenes play perfectly. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm quite a newbie to this....

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. try an SVN version of Dosbox. if the game is a version for both Windows and Mac, dosbox 0.74 got confused in loading stuff from the CD, I think.

2.After that try the Quicktime version linked to from the Windows 3.1x guide (see my signature).

3. try searching for video cutscene Windows 3 in our search. There have been other topics with other games that had problems, but I don't remember...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Dominus wrote:

1. try an SVN version of Dosbox. if the game is a version for both Windows and Mac, dosbox 0.74 got confused in loading stuff from the CD, I think.

An important detail: the issue in 0.74 is only with cdrom images mounted with IMGMOUNT. Also, PC/Mac hybrid discs are most likely to have the issue, but any disc with files sourced from Macintosh, such as QuickTime movies, may be affected.

Info about SVN builds: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

Reply 3 of 3, by Lightseeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, I see. Thanks for your support. I have the original disks of this somewhere and I'll try using them as soon as I find them instead of the .iso I'm using now. Maybe that will solve the problem.