VOGONS

First post, by raygundan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been setting up a bunch of my old games in DOSBox, and have had very good luck so far. I have run into an odd issue with Space Quest IV, though-- no matter what sound support I enable (SB, GUS, Roland, etc...) and what I configure in the "INSTALL" tool, the music is *always* PC Speaker.

I'm using DOSBox 0.61 and Boxer 0.61.5. I have the 1995 CD talkie "Sierra Classics" version of Space Quest IV. Running on an Athlon XP 2000+, WinXP Pro, 1.5GB RAM, generic Realtek mobo sound card.

Normal sound comes through the SB emulation just fine. If I disable PC Speaker support, the music disappears, even if the game config is set to use SB or Roland. And I never get anything but the "beep boop" of the PC Speaker, no matter what I set the music config to for the game.

Other games (Discworld 1, for example) use the Roland and Soundblaster perfectly, so the problem seems game-specific.

Reply 1 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you get the music with VDMS? Did you try AdLib or general MIDI in the Sierra install? Is this the CD version?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 4, by raygundan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll test VDMS tonight. You can set the music to whatever you want in the Sierra install, Adlib, Roland, GUS, SB, etc... but it still all comes out as PC Speaker music. I can verify that by disabling PC speaker emulation, which then kills the music (but not the normal sounds).

It's the CD talkie version, 1995 re-release as part of the "Sierra Originals" series. I believe it's exactly the same as the original CD talkie, but I can't be positive.

Reply 4 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the CD version, there is a new patch that fixes all of the timer bugs in the game. If you can get sound with VDMS, You will not need to use DOSBox for this game.

http://geocities.com/belzorash/

There are timer fixes for some other Sierra games there too, even Quest for Glory 4. These patches really work!

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers