VOGONS

First post, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run Batman Forever (not the arcade game) on DOSBox on Ubuntu, and I managed to get the game installed and working with sound and such, and even FMVs, but there's one problem... there's no music...

I think it's because Ubuntu mounts many windows CDs as 2 mounts, one for the redbook audio and the other for the data on disc, so I tried mounting the redbook audio part, but that didn't work...

What do I do? If it makes any difference, I'm trying to get it running using DOSBox Game Launcher (DBGL).

Reply 1 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Creating a bin/cue image and mount it inside DOSBox would likely be the easiest way.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Only mount the cue/bin image (if you did it right and the image holds both binary and audio data) and a folder.
Conservatively best if you mount the folder as C and the cue/bin as D.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 12, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I evidentially haven't... DOSBox just closes when I try to run it when I try to only mount the iso...
Is there a way to just mount both parts of the CD? I don't have much space on my HDD and I'd rather not have iso files lingering in there.

Reply 5 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So far I think that is a problem you cannot solve on linux (or OS X in my case) without a complete bin/cue image. Mounting two volumes (data and audio) as one drive in Dosbox doesn't work. It's the one thing that works so much better on Windows ;(

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 12, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, that blows, I can't even use Windows right now because my graphics card fried some time ago, and it became unusable since. 🙁

So do you know how to make an image file out of 2 volumes?

Reply 8 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Cobra! wrote:

Well, that blows, I can't even use Windows right now because my graphics card fried some time ago, and it became unusable since. 🙁

So do you know how to make an image file out of 2 volumes?

You need to rip directly, I think there is a linux tool for this, search for bin cue linux. Otherwise some access to a Windows machine would help since for example Alcohol 120% (or so) can make good rips in shareware mode. You could then butn the cue/bin file to a DVD 😉

(Also moving the thread to the Dosbox forums)

Reply 10 of 12, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I should first say, that I've had problems with getting CD audio to work right from a disc on Ubuntu 16.04, too.

So yeah, better make a bin+cue rip. From what I recall, I've used cdrdao to create a bin/toc pair and then used toc2cue in order to convert the toc file. Afraid I don't recall all details, but I'm sure some guide can help you.
Note that you may have to choose the (so-called) byte-order in cdrdao correctly (otherwise you may get unexpected high-volume noise).

In case someone is wondering, I *think* the reason for the problems with actual CD audio in my case, is that SDL_cdrom is used for playback in DOSBox, but it may rather work under the assumption that an old-fashioned cable connects the optical drive to a sound card (or something like that). Even if it's not required, maybe support varies between different sound chips/drivers, and/or it works with exclusive ALSA usage but not with ALSA+PulseAudio.