VOGONS

First post, by TFrog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been able to successfully install this golf simulation but have had immense problems getting this simulation running properly. Usually it fails trying to find the LaserLok folder on the CD. Can someone please post their configuration for this excellent simulation? Also, if they have a configuration they use in DBGL (DOSBox Game Launcher) would love to have it as well. I'm attempting to get this game running on a Linux box via DOSBox. I refuse to go back to Windows of any variant. And YES I have tried running this game under WINE to no avail 😠

My machine is a Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop with 8G of RAM, 640G HD, Intel i5 processor, and Intel graphics running Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa with DOSBox 0.74 from repository.

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Get the DOS32A extender here: http://dos32a.narechk.net

Put DOS32A.EXE in the game's installation directory, and then use a command like this to start the game: dos32a mygame.exe <parameters>

Use the name of the game's main executable in place of mygame.exe, and you can include parameters after the executable name if there are any. Using a different extender in this way effectively bypasses Laserlok copy protection, and although it works in other cases, I haven't tried it with this particular game.

Reply 2 of 4, by Stick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm curious if you're using a version other than the U.S. version. My U.S. version doesn't use LaserLock.

I've had no problems playing it on my Win 7 machine. CD is not even required after install.

Reply 3 of 4, by TFrog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks very much for the quick replies both ripsaw8080 and Stick. I'll admit I downloaded this game via torrent so it may just be a foreign (not American) version though If I recall right the original which I owned years ago had the same Laserlok folder and that persistent requirement was nixed once it was installed through the install. Of course I could very well be wrong on that account. It's still one of my favorite DOS games. I'll post back about the dos32a extender and the experience with it and Links LS 1997.

Reply 4 of 4, by TFrog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright. Tried dos32a extender. Failed the issue. I don't mind the requirement for the disc as I can mount the image files or have rewriteable cd's for this case. The main issue is getting the game itself to run. I'll continue to try various things on this using dos32a as well as tinkering with various configurations other than that to see if I can find out what is causing the game to crash while loading. It could be something to do with the vesa driver. I found that issue in Links386 as well. We'll see.