VOGONS

First post, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a CD with a DOS program that is full of road test questions; the CD needs to be inserted for the program to work. I'm having trouble getting it to work under the latest DOSBox; basically, no matter what the program does not detect that the disc is present in the drive. It's the same message as if I just copy all the files onto the computer and try to run it from there.

I used mount d d:\ -t cdrom to load it in DOSBox. Also tried some of the additional parameters, such as -usecd 0.
This disc is very obscure; it's just called Auto-Évaluateur and was made by a local driving school from way back. I think it would be ok to provide this, if anyone wants to look at it (there's no other info on the disc or in the program about it; a really barebones program). Any other information you need, let me know.

I appreciate the help.

Reply 1 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The AE program that I looked at before is dated from around the year 2000, and it was intended to be run under the "DOS" of Windows that supports a Joliet filesystem on the cdrom, not the MS-DOS 5/6 with MSCDEX that DOSBox emulates. However, there is a workaround: Re: Application can't find its CD

Reply 2 of 6, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for providing the link. EDIT: Never mind, an error on my part! The program now does run; however, it doesn't load properly and gives an error that one of the files (param.#00) isn't found, even though it is there; below, it reads "STOP in module M_KIO at address 0E4B:4EE6.
I included aefiximg.com with the program's files when creating an ISO of it, then mounted that ISO and then ran aefiximg.com before running aemn. That's how it should be done, right?

I think this is definitely on the right track for a solution; my version of the program is different, though, as it includes several exe files.

Reply 3 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you are mounting a cdrom drive with MOUNT then run the AEFIX.COM program; if you are mounting an image of the disc with IMGMOUNT then run the AEFIXIMG.COM program; in either case start the program by switching to the D: drive and running AEMN.EXE

Reply 4 of 6, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, I got the part about choosing between aefix and aefiximg. What I mean is, this is how I did it:

imgmount d [location of the disc image] -t iso
d:
aefiximg.com (I included it with the files that I copied from disc and then made an ISO)
aemn

Is that how to do it?

Reply 5 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You originally wrote that you use MOUNT with the disc, so use that with AEFIX.COM, because the ISO you made may have messed up the characters in filenames that are not compliant with ISO 9660.