VOGONS

First post, by Psychenous

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently downloaded the Ultima Collection on my PC (the OS is Windows 10 btw) and the other games work fine when mounted on DOSBOX, but every time I try to start up Ultima 8 DOSBOX will say:

"FILES=5!

You must set FILES=40 in your config.sys file.

Rest Avatar you will need it."

I looked at the CFG file in the Ultima 8 folder and it is a bunch of gibberish. And I have tried turning EMS in DOSBOX Options to =false like I have to do with the two Ultima 7 games. I get the same result either true or false.
Anyone who has run into this problem and knows the solution please help me.

Reply 1 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CONFIG.SYS has nothing to do with any of the files from Ultima 8. Normally it is something you would worry about if you were running the game on a normal MS-DOS machine. There are ways to deal with it in DOSBox – but the thing is, no one seems to have reported this problem with Ultima 8 before, so there's probably no need to go into that.

The compatibility list provides a link to http://bootstrike.com/Ultima/Online/uwu8dosbox.php . Perhaps you should double-check that you have the game installed correctly.

Reply 2 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, Ultima 8 runs in Dosbox with xms and ems set to true and that's it. So Jorpho is probably right that there is some other problem. Incomplete installation or write protection or...

Also, please post dosbox questions in the dosbox forums. I'll move the thread

Edit: just looked it up, my batch file to run Ultima 8 has only these entries

xms=true
ems=true
u8.exe

(of course the games folder needs to be mounted and you need to cd to the u8 folder)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper